Can valet keys start car?

My wife had her mini broken into and her purse taken. Inside the wallet was the valet key. Needless to say we now have an expensive alarm system installed.

The dealership said the valet key could start the car. However I don't believe the valet key has the chip since it is nothing more than a plastic cut-out.

If the valet key can start the key what is the point of having the chip and $160 main key? Something is not right here.

Reply to
grinder

The valet key does contain a chip and can start the car. There are 2 differences with the valet key:

  1. It doesn't have a remote for the alarm.

  1. It will not open the glove compartment.

The idea of the valet key is you can give it to a valet to park your car, and they are unable to get into the glove box (if you've locked it). It also doubles as a useful spare to keep in your wallet.

Reply to
Alan

Thanks. I just don't see how a chip can be in that plastic cut-out.

Reply to
grinder

hmmm..... the UK Glove boxes don't have locks on them

Reply to
Paul

Take a look at your credit card - the chances are there is one in that one too...

The 'valet' key has the chip - I used it on one occasion.

Reply to
RC

Hi The Valet Key - It is called a Wallet key as it is small and can be kept in a wallet in case the main key is lost

It can open the door and start the car....

Arielmad - the guy who has just had to break open a jammed glovebox...

---------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 68728 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try

for free now!

Reply to
arielmad