W123 Dash Texture

In a wrecking yard I found a crack-free black dash board. I got it to replace the very cracked blue dash in my car. While prepping it for painting, I saw that the texture was different from any other W123 dash that I have seen. It has small bumps like lizard skin rather than the leather look like the other dashes.

Do you know anything about this?

Also some dashes have insulation pads some don't. The ones that do show burning from contact with the glove box light.

Thanks

Reply to
Commuter

Earlier cars have what I call the 'pebble' grain, while after '81 or so they have the 'leather' grain. The other thing you'll find is that early cars had the climate control sensor in the right speaker hole, so there is no hole for the central sensor used on some later cars.

240Ds did not have the noise insulation pad.

You can dye a black dash blue quite easily using SEM vinyl dye, use the color 'Shadow Blue', it's a near perfect match. Blue dashes tend to crack more easily.

TFN

Reply to
TFN

Thanks for your response. As I recall I took it off a '79 car.

Reply to
Commuter