Dash Illumination '92 240DL

Just bought this car last week and now I find that the dash has no lights at night. The dash rheostat was missing when I purchased the car so off to the wrecking yard I went and procured one. Installed it and turned on lights to a nice display of smoke and smell with the rheostat glowing a nice cherry red.Now I know why it was missing. So next I bring out the Bentley manual and try to read the hieroglyphics they call schematics.Find that the output of the rheostat goes to at three different places in the dash. One being to the radio, which happens to be an aftermarket Kenwood unit. So I pull out radio and look at wiring. Find that one wire from rheostat has a short to ground. Could not find out exactly where,since wire disappears into large wiring bundle behind dash.So I then thought well I'll just use the other wire that does not have a ground on it and maybe get back at least some lights. No good, lights still do not work.But the rheostat does not get hot and smoke anymore, just no lights still. Anyone have any ideas what to look for now. Thanks Larry

Reply to
L.D.Cosby

Is the rheostat any good still? I shorted the one in my car once and it burned out almost instantly. If there's no shorts and nothing lights up, are the bulbs good? Do you have a volt meter?

Reply to
James Sweet

hieroglyphics

Hey James

Yes the rheostat is still good. I ohmed it out and it shows it has a max reading of about 22 Ohms.Also checked the bulbs, they are good. I wish I had access to another 240 to check what the reading is on the brown wires from the rheostat to ground. With the wires disconnected from the rheostat. Anyone's help would be appreciated. Larry

Reply to
L.D.Cosby