1973 Super Dash cover

Hi guys,

My '73 dash is messed up, so I wanted to get a replacement, but it seems it's impossible to get a complete 1303 dashboard anywhere! some vendors have a Dash cover, and that just doesn't sound right. Do you know where I can get a new complete dash? if not, do any of you have one of those covers installed? may I see some pictures of how does it look?

Also, it would be helpful to know where to get all the knobs (OE style, not wood), switches, speedo, radio cover, steering wheel and things like that.

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Howdy....

If you're talking the metal dash... I have a complete clip for cheap in Minneapolis.

Tsunde at ISD.net

Reply to
MN AirHead

No, I'm not talking about the metal dash... I'm talking about the sculpted plastic dash all 1303's have.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

I don't think I have ever seen any for sale on the aftermarket, unless your after a Porsche styled one...

You could always get one from a scrapped car that someone's breaking. The best place would be from a cooler country or area, as the hotter weather makes the dash warp.

Not that we have that problem in the UK! :-)

Reply to
Howard Rose

Well...I know about hot weather, I'm in the caribbean. That's why is so difficult to find one here. Where can I get the porsche styled ones?

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Well... here is one solution (not my car):

dash by VW Innovations (Glass Action):
I have a 1303 as well. Luckily my dash is in fairly good condition with only a few minor cracks. When I first got this Super I shopped around for a stock replacement. I found some used dashes in not much better shape than mine for $200 to $300 (US) or more. I decided to simply recondition my dash and protect it from the sun when parked outside. Also, I have seen the caps the folks glue to the top... they seem like a good solution if you have a badly cracked top and the lower dash half is clean.

Rich

Rich

I seem to recall seeing the super beetle dash in JC whitney's catalog back around '96-'97(and priced around $300 if I remember right) but as of late, I haven't found any place to buy new ones. I'm in the same boat, my dash is totally cracked and warped. I was able to buy one that only has one crack on ebay(should be here tomorrow) and I plan on installing the 'cover' on it. I have seen several super beetles with the cover installed and it looked like a brand new dash. I think the key is having a flat surface to start with, if you can't get a better used one you'll probably have to tear up the vinyl even more to get your exisiting one straight enough to accept a cover.

Chris

Reply to
Hal