W124 Water Pump Removal

Hi group,

I need to remove the water pump because it appears to be leaking through the back seal, but I'm starting to think that this is out of my league. I have the MB CD, and, although the flash index does not seem to include the sections on the coolant system, I found them among the pdf's on the engine disk (particularly section 20-2100). The procedure calls for swiveling the power steering pump to the side, with hoses attached, but, having removed the radiator, fan, and poly-belt, and loosening the power steering pump (swiveled down), it does not look to me like I can reach the lower bolts of the water pump, even if I completely remove the steering pump. In fact, it almost looks like I would have to remove the entire intake manifold!

So, what am I missing? I can't believe that a device as prone to failure as a water pump is so difficult to service.

BTW, My CD does not include section 46, which, apparently covers the power steering pump.

Cheers!

-Tom

Tom Dolan Williamsburg, VA

1988 560 SEL 1989 260 E Previously: 1977 300 D 1980 240 D 1982 300 D Turbodiesel 1985 380 SE

Tom Dolan Williamsburg, VA

1988 560SEL 1989 260E

And once the proud owner of a secondhand

1977 300D, 1979 240D, 1982 300D, & 1985 380SE
Reply to
Tom Dolan

Nonsense, nothing to it. If I had to do it again now, it would take me less than an hour. Took me saturday afternoon and a few beer the first time. Biggest problem is accessing 'one' of the bolts holding on the pump. For this you need one or two universal joints and maybe a bit of ingenuity re getting at the bolt.

geeez, you don't need to remove the radiator, just swivel the pump a bit.

lower bolts? my 300E is a W124 and there were no 'lower' bolts. IIRC there were 3 bolts to remove the water pump. the one in the back (looking from the front) near the engine was a bit tough to get to as mentioned above. BUT, not impossible! Just 'fiddly'

there is a specialized tool (I didn't use it) others propbably know which it is - a flex of some kind - that makes removing this bolt easy.

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

Thanks for your input, Guenter. I should've said that this is on my 1989

260E--in addition to being an incompetant mechanic, I seem to be an incompetant usenet user!

Anyway, my 260 E's water pump has four bolts, one is a hex cap bolt (the easy one on the front top); the others are all typical 13mm bolts and are behind other assemblies. The second upper bolt I can probably manage, though the oil dipstick tube runs directly across it, leaving only about

1 1/2" clearance. The other two are inaccessible without removal of *something* in that my U-joints (standard craftsman 3/8") cannot fit into the spaces that I can see.

And... I just noticed some fine print in my shop manual that calls for removal of the belt tensioning device, which requires removal of the fan clutch, the water pump pulley, and the power steering pump pulley!

Anybody want to buy a used 260E with 218,000 miles on it???

Cheers!

-Tom

Tom Dolan Williamsburg, VA

1988 560SEL 1989 260E

And once the proud owner of a secondhand

1977 300D, 1979 240D, 1982 300D, & 1985 380SE
Reply to
Tom Dolan

Tom, don't give up so easely.... it's really not that hard. Have a look at the detailed description that I gave on the mercedes shop forum:

there are, of course, further related threads there

cheers, guenter

260E--in addition

assemblies. The second upper

it, leaving only about

in that my U-joints

of the belt

pulley, and the power

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

Guenter, thanks again for you help. Your posting on the shopforum is fantastic! As soon as I get another break in the weather (currently cold and rainy) I'll give it shot--or maybe a double--I like the case of beer approach!)

Cheers!

-Tom

260E--in addition

one on the