96 MGF Electrical problems.

Hi,

Ok, now that I worked out how to get into the engine bay, I have 2 electrical questions about my new MGF.

  1. Every now and then, the SRS warning light comes on, and stays on. However, if I turn the ignition off and then back on, the light goes off. Has anyone got any ideas?

  1. The car does not seem to "have an alarm", I was not given a key-fob when I bought it, and I dont need one to start it. I have however located the alarm unit at the back of the car, and the wires leading to it are unplugged. Is there a likely reason for this? Is it possible to get the alarm system tested and repaired?

Thanks Robert

Reply to
Robert

As far as I'm aware your MGF does have an alarm/immobiliser and remote central locking, my 97 model certainly did as did every other F I ever saw. You should have two remotes that lock/unlock the car and set the alarm.

You can buy spares but I have no idea how hard they are to program. I suggest that you take the car to an auto electrician and get it looked at.

Another suggestion would be take it to one of the old dealers. The dealer I bought my new TF from is no longer an MG Rover dealer but they still service and look after MG Rovers, the same people still work there and they can still get parts etc..

The fact that your alarm is disconnected seems to indicate a fault that the previous owner decided not to fix, perhaps on cost grounds so it might not be as simple as replacing the remotes and getting them programmed. :o(

Reply to
Nick Mason