MGF - How do I get at the engine

Hi,

I have just purchased a 1996 MFG, which I am absolutely thrilled with. However, this is my very first MG, and I cannot work out how I actually gain access to the engine bay. Does everything have to be done through that small opening in the luggage compartment? (I Hope not!), or is there something I remove to gain access? The engine has a bit of an oil leak which I would like to try and trace, and I would like to clean the engine up in order to check for any other leaks.

Thanks Robert

Reply to
Robert

There a two ways, depending on what you're going to be doing.

One is to remove the hood and frame completely. Then take out the cover from the shelf behind the seats. This will reveal the engine cover. Remove the bolts holding the cover in place and you're in.

The second and slightly easier way is the leave the hood fastened at the front, undo the clips that hold the frame in place at the back and them lift the hood forward out of the way, then to get at the cover follow the same procedure as above.

If I remember correctly there are about 10 bolts holding the cover in place.

Reply to
Nick Mason

Take a look at the following, should give you some idea;

This one shows the second method of getting at the cover.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Nick Mason

Mason,

Thanks for that, I am going to go and have a go now.

Cheers Robert

Reply to
Robert