[FS]/How much is it worth MG B GT 1980

Hi All,

I want to sell my MG. It is a 1980 V reg MG B GT. 65k miles, loads of service history. Years MOT. 7 months tax. Russet brown. Wheels are mini-lite style alloys. Full working order.

I guess the only other important thing is rust. The passenger door is pretty bad, bits of rust fall out of the inside on occasions. Other than that, there is a small hole on the bonnet and a couple of other small bits of bubbling, but I would say there is nothing to worry about.

Pictures are at

(warning, files are total size of 470k). One 70k picture can be found at
The cheapest on auto trader is £1,850, up to one very similar to mine, but the roadster, for 6 grand. Is this (even the cheapest) really realistic?

Also, what are peoples recomendations on how to sell it? I am thinking about adtrader, ebay and/or auto trader. Any other recomendations? What else should I say on the advert? Anyone want it here?

Thanks for any input.

Reply to
David Jones

MGOC.

Reply to
Ben Blaney

Bite the bullet. Wrong colour, wrong wheels. US bumpers (probably). £1800. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

davek ( snipped-for-privacy@brentmere53.fsnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

With a rotten door and lurking nasties under the paint? Bit optimistic, isn't it?

Reply to
Adrian

Maybe, but it's about what they go for. If you can find a buyer,-it was made about the time when Red Robbo ruled the roost. Build quality nil-plus the sabotage element. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

Why not find the MG owners club and see if there is any info there?

You could also go onto ebay and monitor prices for your car at that point.

Plus search for web sites selling these cars, and see what they are being sold for.

Reply to
R. Murphy

You might, but the B rusts from the inside out. Small bits of bubbling indicate big trouble.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Are Minilite copies really a minus point? Unless they're particularly bad ones, I'd have thought they'd add a little value to something like a B. The original Rostyles weren't anything special.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

To give people a better idea of how bad it is, I have taken some photos of rust. They are at

(thumbnails this time, size of page = 100k). The door is really bad. This never worried me. The rear wheel arch is also real quite bad. Any other tests to see how bad it really is? Other than that the bits of bubbling are really small, do you really think it is that bad?

Can the others at the bottom end of the price range be that much better? Anything else I could do to give people an idea of how bad it is? Would it be worth my while paying someone to sort it out before I sell it?

Reply to
David Jones

David Jones ( snipped-for-privacy@myself.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Knock a grand off that £1800 guesstimate.

The door's scrap. The bonnet's scrap. The rear wings are scrap. There's rot in the A-pillar that's going to need the screen out. There's rot in the C- pillar that's going to need the vinyl roof stripping off.

And that's just those photos.

Floors? Sills? Bulkhead? Inner wings? Front wings?

Poke it with a big screwdriver.

Yes.

No. That's why they're at the bottom of the price range.

No. You'd be looking at a fairly substantial body rebuild. Possibly even a reshell.

When it comes down to it, it's a rotten turd-brown rubber bumper BGT that was originally lobbed together by people who were trying to find an excuse to go on strike.

Reply to
Adrian

Yep. I had always thought it is easy to change, and it is not goingt o spread to anywere else.

For that 1 little hole?

Just the one (the other is fine).

I see.

That is every bit of rust I can see. The sills are fine (I am used to my mates having problems there with minis). The front wings are fine. The bulk head is under the bonnet? I shall have a look at that (and the inner wings), and get my head under it to see if I can see anything of the floor.

Oh dear.

Yeah, but that really seems to be the bottom of the price range, so if they got for that then can mine really only be worth £800? I was expecting a bit more than that, though I was not really expecting it to be £1800.

Thanks for the input.

Reply to
David Jones

There is one little spot of rust on one front inner wing [1], the other has been done. Nothing on the bulkhead or anywhere I can see underneath. I really think every rust spot on the car spot now has a photo of it.

[1] Updated page
David Jones

If it was mine, I'd repair the bonnet, unless there's worse we're not seeing.

Just taking the screen out is not nearly as scary as it sounds. How far that rust extends could be, though.

Nah, there's a badge a few inches up from the rot that'd hide a join nicely (and probably already does).

Yebbut it's got lovely orange seats...

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

David Jones ( snipped-for-privacy@myself.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

To cut all the rot out, weld it, and make it *look* like a bonnet again will cost more than binning it and finding a good used one or probably even a new one. You'd have to paint the whole car anyway.

Are photos 2&3 of the same side? They look like opposite sides. 3 shows bubbling under the paint at the top of a wing, next to the rot in the shell at the base of the C-pillar. Looks like OS. The rot at the base of the arch is definitely NS - it's behind the wheel and you can just see the bumper.

Don't forget - you're looking at what's come through from the inside. Take a wire brush to both sides, and you've got big holes.

They're *asking* that. Doesn't mean they've sold for it.

Reply to
Adrian

Willy Eckerslyke (oss108no snipped-for-privacy@bangor.ac.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Allegro-tastic.

Reply to
Adrian

In news:Xns9716D4208AEE7adrianachapmanfreeis@204.153.244.170, Adrian decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

A lot optomistic if you ask me.

Alternatively, if anyone is interested in a 1969 MGB GT with chrome bumpers, chrome wire wheels and better doors than that one, I know where there's one you can buy for £1400.

Reply to
Pete M

Pete M ( snipped-for-privacy@blue-nopressedmeat-yonder.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Free tax...

Reply to
Adrian

I would imagine that there are many cars out there with hidden rust problems even though they might look ok now. The fact that yours has some rust coming through would suggest worse to come. If I were you I'd patch up the worst bits, polish it and make sure it ran perfectly, stick a "for sale" in the window of the car. I'd certainly replace the door and patch up the bonnet. It looks like there's rust coming through the inner wings too? The thing in your favour is that it has a year's MoT. Yes those wheels are better than the originals.

Brown is a difficult colour to sell but incidentally, for paint cans I find that CarPlan Russet Brown is a very good match and Halford's Russet Brown is rubbish.

Reply to
adder1969

I think so too. But the colour is horrid, even if it does help disguise the rust.

Not that these aspects will affect the price in the slightest, I think, not to put too fine a point on this if someone actually wants this model and year of car, they don't have what you or I might consider to be good taste. And it is undoubtedly an original colour - nobody could voluntarily change to Russet Brown.

Twenty-five year old cars are a bizarre sort of market, I doubt there is much difference in price (for a given model) from best to worst, this is really just a question of which ones sell first, and which ones sell last. Either that, or it does not sell at all for anything more than mickey mouse money due to fatal rust or whatnot.

I think there will be a few examples each year, sold by dealers with well photographed adverts, that go for considerably more than the bulk of them, mainly due to buyer foolishness.

Reply to
nospam