Oil pressure up and down (MGB GT 1974)

Hello all,

as the title says, I have 74 MGB GT.

I think the timing could do with a tweak (some misfires when I'm pulling off), but the thing that's worrying me is that when I pull away in first and second gear (revs never getting above 3K) the oil pressure guage drops to 0. When I get in third it recovers.

Also it I take a corner in third and the torque isn't really there (I should be in second) the pressure drops.

Anyone had any experiences like this ?

Thanks for any advice you can offer, Neil.

Reply to
neil

Is this a new problem with a car that you have had for some time, or have you just got the car?

Reply to
Bot

Some obvious things to check - you have enough oil, right?? And what are you using for viscosity, 20w-50 or something else?

Dan D '65 MGB '76 MGB Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

I've had the car for about 10 years, and just got it back on the road after being mothballed (not professionally) for the last five. To get it back on road I had a replacement gearbox and overdrive fitted. This problem has only started happening in the last two weeks (had gearbox fitted 6 weeks ago). I know the pressure can drop when the clutch is depressed if the thrust bearing has gone, but that's not the issue. In answer to other posters question - Oil level seems fine and I'm using 20W-50

Reply to
neil

I guess the last thing I would do before opening the engine is to replace the oil pressure gauge and/or sensor - perhaps it is bad and only getting an intermittant reading.

Dan D

Reply to
Dano58