Vehicle/Engine identification numbers

Is there some type of website, book or database file where you can review or at least identify the exact who,what,where,when make up of these identification numbers? I know when you purchase an American vehicle each type of option you choice is somehow part of the VIN number itself. I know that British Motor Hertiage can verify authenticity of my details but can someone break down what the numbers amount too.

Thanks Rob

Reply to
SBC Yahoo