Cracked Windshield!!!

I have a sept 2002 MINI Cooper S. Driving home the other day I heard a pop and my windshield had 2 4 inch cracks. One from the upper right diagonal down left and one from the lower left diagonal up right.

I checked the Mini2 forums and it seems like this is an ongoing problem. I have to call my dealer this week and see about getting it replaced under warranty. What are my chances? I have worked like a dog to keep it it fairly pristine condition (no small feat considering I got the white S spokes). This is killing me...

Reply to
sjjn

Chances are pretty good for replacement if the cracks are spontaneous stress fractures and not the result of ballistic rocks. You might want to take a close look at the cracks to see if there are any little pitted areas around them, just so that you know what to expect at the service center.

Reply to
Erik Peterson

These cars do have a higher incidence of windshield failures that most. Some is due to the problems of having such a vertical windshield so close to the front of the car, but there does appear to be more problems with the early ones.

If the car is under warranty, I'd relax. They'll probably cover it.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen

Reply to
Greg Meyers

Well, unfortunately my dealer flat out refused to do anything. I drove up to ask about replacing the window armed with all my newsgroup and MINI2 knowledge and they wouldn't hear any of it. I had 4 different people including the owner just break out a pen and flatly state it was a pebble. WTF!!! A magic pebble that happen to hit me exactly in the both corners where the A-pillar stress happens to occur, simultaneously! Losing my patience with Habberstad if huntington....

I guess I'll wait until it cracks across before forking out my cash...

Reply to
sjjn

I'd go over their heads to MINI USA, or take it to a different dealer (if there is one in your area). My dealer replaced mine without blinking, and apologized for the inconvenience.

Reply to
Wayne S. Hill

Absolutely. Also worth mentioning the "service" you got in as many public places as possible in my view, just to get feedback of course, not to embarrass the dealer.

:)

Paul

Paul - MINI2.com

I'll pass that along to my NY in-laws, who are currently considering a Mini.

tx bw

Reply to
bdubya