Every cloud has a silver lining .........

My '03 One goes in on Tuesday for a new sunroof cassette (the creaking has proved to be incurable) and my dealer is loaning me a Cooper S for 2 days. Woooooohooooooooooo !!!

Reply to
Ramases

Well, after 3 days with a loaned Cooper S, my One is back fixed, and I thought I'd post my driving impressions of Cooper S.

On the plus-side, I loved the performance - stunningly quick and very exciting, and as grippy as any car I've ever driven. I also loved some of the extras that were fitted. The computer and the satnav were great - interestingly, the computer claimed 41 MPG and if that is right, I'm very impressed with that as I wasn't pootling around !

On the downside, the Getrag 6-speed 'box was horrible. Clunky and stiff (the car had done over 6000 miles so it wasn't a running-in issue) and this really spoiled the whole driving experience. I just don't see what BMW are up to planning to put Getrag 'boxes into all MINIs - unless they are going to do something about the change action.

I didn't really like the suspension that much either - it was just too stiff. I live in the country, and the roads here are a little less than smooth, and going over even small bumps and potholes nearly shook my fillings out !!! (I could see my radar detector - fixed to the windscreen - wobbling up and down continually, but when I swapped it back into my One, it barely moved.) My wife described the ride of the S as "awful" - and although I wouldn't go that far, I have to say I was disappointed. One last thing - the big wheels and wide tyres seemed to cause the car to tramline at times, and this almost caught me out more than once !

In summary then, for everyday motoring, I'd have a One any day - the ride is better, handling and performance adequate 99% of the time, and mine was about £6000 cheaper than the S. I'd probably only choose an S for track days - and then it would be an absolute hoot to drive it like a hooligan !

Now I need to try a standard Cooper to see if that is a good compromise between a One and an S.

Reply to
Ramases

Sounds completely wrong, the best I get from an S when not on a motorway is about 32 mpg.

That's interesting, I LOVE the "clunky" box, although some seem to have a problem and be just plain hard to work! I much prefer the 6 speed to the 5 speed, it was one of the main reasons I swapped a Cooper for an S. We still have a One, and it's far to say the gearchange is VERY different. The new 5 speed Getrag for the One and Cooper is also "clunky", or as you might put it "positive"? ;)

Horses for courses.

I don't like the suspension on my July '03 build S either. It's too damn spongy!

Seriously. I had a March '03 S with the "original" Cooper S sports suspension plus, then they changed the suspension later (in that month I believe) with a new "softer" sports suspension plus. Now on my local country lanes I scrape and rub where I NEVER used to on the older, firmer suspension. Need to sort that out when funds allow!

It's funny, two people, same car, completely different responses. Just as well MINI do a nice range of 3, to suit everyone's tastes!

:)

Paul

Paul - MINI2.com

I have just done a quick in-the-head check on that. I put in £27 of fuel and did about 320 miles, and when I took it back it indicated just about the same amount of fuel that it had when I got it. On that basis, 41 is about right ........ maybe I'm more feather-footed than I think !!!!

Absolutely. Maybe I need to start going to the gym !

Couldn't agree more. For day to day use I couldn't live with the S suspension. I LOVE my MINI One !!!

Reply to
Ramases

I also love the gearbox in my S, nice and chunky and positive. Suspension is stiff but it's what I expected so I'm happy, mine is also July 03.

Fuel economy is poor though, I feel good if I get better than 28 or 32 on a long motorway run, 300 miles on a tank from full to buried in the red.

Reply to
bullett

I never got above 25mpg & more realistic was 22mpg.

My 3.1TD Isuzu trooper does 26mpg!

Nige

Reply to
Nige

I never got above 25mpg & more realistic was 22mpg.

My 3.1TD Isuzu trooper does 26mpg!

Nige

There are two things that a man is prone to lie about. One is miles per gallon and the other is the size of his thingy.

JimBob

Reply to
JimBob

What thingy? Car? Wheels? Glovebox? ;-p

Paul

Paul - MINI2.com

Well, I don't need to lie about my MPG, it IS real. Was on a trip from Chicago to Seattle in the Winter....maybe the cold dense air had something to do with it, but for sure that is what I got. JC

Reply to
Jim Collins

SEP'03 "s"....8600 miles...a.30.7mpg......quite happy with that as it is always in the 6,000rpm arena!!!

Matt....UK

Reply to
Matthew Boocock

That's good MPG for high revving, do you do more long or short runs?

Sept '03 collection is that? Or build? Mine was July build, picked up Sept

2nd, done about 10,500 miles now!!

Paul

Paul - MINI2.com

Hi paul,

During the week, "me missus" drives it to her work, about 10 mile round trip!! I take it on longer drives at the weekend, so i guess it's a mixture......

By the way, I was quoted today £3,654 by JOHN COOPER for the Works conversion. Do ya think it'll be any cheaper at a BMW dealer???

Cheers,

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Boocock

I've seen some people say they've gotten it cheaper, but most people get the best deal they can via John Cooper Works themselves.

Paul

Paul - MINI2.com