Fuel gauge illumination problem

I have a new Cooper (2nd generation built May 2007). The fuel gauge illumination periodically fluctuates from full bright to dim. I returned the
car to my local BMW Mini dealer who decided that the problem was in the central instrument cluster and therefore replaced it. The problem persists!
Has anybody else seen this problem? Got a solution?
Malcolm H