Oil Change

Hi all,
I've decided to try and preserve my 03MC by driving it as little as possible. Just on weekends for fun. ( I got me a 1982 Mercedes 240D, which
in a very different way is a totally amazing car...but for another discussion group).
Question: Should I be following the computerized service interval? Even if it sits around a lot (And I start it every now and then) should I change the oil every few months just cuz?
Thanks
Peter
Hi, Modern oils and modern car, I would follow the service interval computer, regardless of how long you park it for, HTH Fitzy

Fitzy wrote:

Good advice, Fitzy. Besides, when you think about it, regular oil changes aren't that much money, especially on a car you're trying to preserve. Just think of it as a small operating expense to protect your investment.
dauph
On a slightly different tack, I can see peters car is a 2003 model, but... brand new cars have thinner "running in" oil in to start with. even though the computer says whatever thousands of miles, this should be removed after 1000 and replaced with the normal thicker stuff. BMW have had problems with intermittent low oil pressure due to this and a change of oil rectifes it. Just info i thought this group may benefit from.
RS

Good point RS, BMW appear to be going backwards, I remember some 20/25 years ago, when BMWs had what we called "delivery oil and plugs" fitted by the factory, we had to remove these and change the oil while doing a PDI, (pre delivery inspection), this wasn't called a running in oil, it was just a "get you there oil" because the cars where driven on and off so many transporters and ships, while they where on cold start fuel, this would eventually contaminate the oil and spark plugs, Regards Fitzy
they never had time to warm up it was

So, I'm not clear at this point: Should I change the oil, even though it's not called for? Should I use the same grade. I use 5-50 synth. Any changes?
Peter

change
I would be inclined to wait, because the service computer is designed to give you the best service from oils and other service items, but I am a great believer in the old service and oil change schedules, I do my cars every 6 months, Fitzy

I change mine (oil & filter) every 3k-5k. I use Mobile I syn. Like it was said,"It's very cheap insurance for your car"!!!!!!
--
Kevin Syler
snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net