Silly question - what is that thing?

In an '06 MCS Hardtop (no sun roof) - what is the little "vent" thing just aft of the map light buttons? (Same question for the square bump in the headliner above the rear seats - again with two vents.) I know they can't really be vents... there is no room for any ducting up there.

Thanks!

Reply to
J. Patrick Brandt

Hazarding a guess at cabin pressure sensors for the alarm ... or summat similar ?

will be able to tell yer fer sure.

Reply to
Brownz (mobile)

Another guess is, the vent thingy in the dash is a cabin temp sensor, that controls the heater valve,

the vent in the roof ? is possibly for pressure relief when the doors are slammed shut, or the car is travelling at speed like I said,,,, just a guess,, nodoubt some one will give us the correct answers Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

I always thought the thing in the ceiling was a microphone for a hands-free cell phone setup. What do I know though? But while we're on the subject, what is the thing on the top center of the dashboard of my '02 MCS? It's just a circular plastic "plug". I removed it to see what it's covering, but saw nothing underneath!

dauph

Reply to
dauph59

It's where the ultraviolet sensor goes when Automatic Climate Control is installed. Otherwise, it's just a circular plastic "plug". :)

Blues

Reply to
Blues_Jam

And I've been sticking flowers in it like the dashboard vase on the new Beetle!

dauph

Blues_Jam wrote:

Reply to
dauph59

LOL... as good a use as any :)

Blues

Reply to
Blues_Jam

Reply to
J. Patrick Brandt

Answering my own question, via the empirical method...

In my particular vehicle, the "vent" just to the rear of the map lights is "nothing". (As someone else pointed out, maybe it is for a hands-free phone microphone?)

Anyhow, it might also just be a "breather" for the headliner - there is a lot of room up there, in my hardtop.

I pulled the whole maplight/passenger airbag light assemble out (by grabbing the front and pulling towards the rear and down) so that I could remedy a rattle up there.

While I had that bit dangling, I felt around and confirmed that there was nothing connected to the "vent" - maybe it just lets out condensation from the steel of the roof itself.

Anyhow, it was apparent that my rattle was from the metal spring clips that hold the unit up there, so I put a bit of masking tape in the appropriate spot and viola - no more rattle.

Now this post is complete for Google posterity.

Reply to
J. Patrick Brandt

The vent behind the map lights is the where the microphone goes for the Bluetooth. The vent above the rear seats is for the in cabin filter.

Reply to
Hippie

Personally, I wouldn't know. But I asked the service manager of Rasmussen Mini in Portland, Oregon, about this last week (when I was getting my leaky air conditioner fixed on warranty) and was told that the small forward "vent" is indeed a vent -- to relieve pressure when the doors are closed, allowing them to latch. I was told the rear "vent" actually is where security-system equipment is installed.

John Craig

Reply to
John Craig

The small front grill has been there from day one on the new MINIs and, as stated, is the location of the mic for the hands free telephone. The fixture on the rear headliner is where the motion detector is located when the factory alarm system is installed.

Reply to
Pamlico