Any tips/tricks for boot lock problem?

Hi, Just wondered if there was a simple solution to this or I'm better off going to my local mini garage. The boot lock has stopped working. The handle turns ok, so I can close and open the boot. The key turns in the lock. The latch also turns and seems to move freely so it doesn't appear to be stuck but it doesn't *seem* to engage with the body of the boot, . No dings or bumps of late so I don't think the body of the boot is out of line with the lid/door. So, it feels like you've locked it, until you turn the handle and 'lo and behold' it opens anyway. So I've now got a unlockable boot. And I'd rather I didn't. Any words of wisdom or do I need a new (or new to the mini) lock? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
mscgeary

new lock mate

very simple to change over (2 screws from memory)

the trouble is probably that the lock is simply worn out - there's a pin which sticks out when locked which does wear away the bit it rubs up against (sorry - i'm crap at technical explanations!).

if you want to keep the same barrel (and hence the same key) this would be more tricky, but i'd just buy another lock (less than a tenner from memory).

def do this yourself - one of the simplest things to attempt - and no way i can think of to bugger it up!

Will

Reply to
willfoot

Yep, new lock, 4 screws & 2 nuts to remove,

5 min job,

Steve.

Reply to
Steve68s

Hum, will go find new lock then. I will have eventually have an entirely new mini (not a new MINI, I hasten to add) as it is being replaced, gradually, piece by piece. ta!

Reply to
mscgeary

I think they're all going like that now ! Mine has all the original exterior bodywork and does it look a state or what ? MOT due next week and after that it's going to be ... Both front wings Both A panels

2 new door skins Both rear quarter panels (Please see new post) Then I'll prime it myself and it'll be (to my shame, I prefer to do everything myself) off for a paint job

Jim

Reply to
Jim

I'd be interested how much it all costs you, as mine will need the same shortly!

Reply to
Martin

you just need to drive out the small pin holding the barrel in place, easy to do!

Reply to
Howard Rose

I felt the same way about a respray and after I had paid someone to do it and then had a really poor job I have just got round to trying myself, I spent £100 on an HVLP spray gun and Blower (not compressor) from screwfix and had great fun spraying my min, I am happy as the finish is better than I had done by a 'pro' and the only person to blame for anything going wrong with it is me!

I did spray cellulose though, if you want 2pack then leave it to the pros (its a bit toxic!), I find cellulose is better for patching in and rubbing down if you didn't get it right the first time!

miniman

Reply to
miniman

Anyone used this new water based stuff. Is that toxic like 2 pac?

The Muff>

Reply to
The Muffin Man

Readers, anyone got a view on the sub £100 blower/gun combo that Argos are selling?

seems a good price and at that price you can afford a few mistakes!

Reply to
TC

seems

Not a bad price!

It looks like the model two down from the one screwfix are doing for £99.99 I think the guns aren't quite as good quality and it looks like the paint can is plastic which would be fine for emulsion but I think after cleaning it out many times you may get problems with old paint sticking inside the can, I think the finish may be as good as the higher up models but it looks like the motor is smaller so you probably wouldn't be able to use primer filler with it and you may be limited to the width of your spray pattern due to the lack of pressure!

Earlex HVLP Spray Stations

Having only used the HV4000 I would definitely say go for that one or the HV5000 as I don't think the lower priced models could survive a whole car! The only problem I had with my setup was that the threads on one of the paint cans wasn't quite right and sometimes you would get a drip when spraying the roof etc. another slight problem is that the air pick up is at the bottom of the blower and therefore needs to be on really clean and dry ground away from the spraying area.

But for the money, definitely a good product and very easy to use with the only adjustments neccessary being the spray pattern and the paint flow, also very little overspray and very easy to clean once you have worked out how it all comes apart, and believe me, you will appreciate that when you realise that you need to clean it out immaculately every time you have finished using it!

Tip for beginners: DO NOT BUY CHEAP THINNERS! (it makes the end finish so much better!)

Just my half a gallons worth, hope that helps someone make a reasonably well informed decision!

miniman

Reply to
miniman

Taskers in Liverpool have them for about £11, you get a few spare parts with them too, I think the gun is made by new tools,

Steve.

Steve68s