Cigarette lighter etc.

Has anyone added a cigarette lighter type thingy to a '97 Mpi before. Some of my older cars had one bolted onto the side of the heater box, but I dont really want to do that in my new one. Neither do I really want to drill a big hole in my nice wood dash.

I want to be able to plugin my phone and satnav etc.

Ben

Reply to
Ben & Claire

i have been thinking the same. they are relatively cheap from the likes of halfords etc. but hard to mount in a nice position. i was thinking of wiring into my glovebox. i know this means opening and closing often, but the satnav wire will probably squeeze through round the gap of the glovebox door. just my thought. RS

Reply to
RS

"Ben & Claire" wrote in black pencil

Hi ya.. have a look at the tech guide on minifinity (url supplied)

If you don't want to position it anywhere visible, you could do what i did with the one i fitted to my motorbike.

Use a "Film Tub" from a 35mm camera film to house the cigarette lighter, and make sure the terminal's are masked off.

It's not the prettiest, but it's functional, and safe, and hidden away :D

Mick

- minifinity url

Reply to
Mick Rouse

Thanks to all, Ill probably go with the glovebox idea. When im not using the satnav the wires will go in the glovebox anyway so that is probably the best solution.

Ben

Reply to
Ben & Claire

make a bracket out of somthing like stainless steel & mount it under the dash, get a good live feed with a heavy fuse just incase you want a cig, the lighter draws quite a bit of current,

Steve.

Reply to
Steve68s

I've fitted one to a 94 SPi, by taking a 2nd hand switch panel and enlarging the hole that was once used for the choke knob - on SPi cars the hole is still there but is covered with a blanking grommet.

I used a Polco cig lighter socket (Halfords-branded items are the same but a couple of quid more) and had to fashion a fastener for the rear of the socket.

Wiring was taken direct from the fuse box (which is still the older 4-fuse type on the bulkhead) with a further inline 20A fuse - seeing as it also works as a cigarette lighter and not just a 12V accessory point..

Swapped the switch panels round, which also involves fun with the heater control, and hey presto. Looks like it should have been fitted there from the day the choke knob disappeared.

erik.

Reply to
erik fishead

There is a spare hole on the central switch panel at the opposite end from the heater knob. Regards, David Betts snipped-for-privacy@minilist.org The Mini Gallery:

David Betts

I've got one in my 2000 Rover Cooper S, I mounted it under the back seat tray and ran wire direct to the battery with aligator clips trough the rubber bung holes. Mines for the mobile phone and laptop etc.

Reply to
Tim