Coils?

Hi All,

I was at an Autojumble the other day and found a clean, new looking Lucas Sports Coil DLB105 Gold for 3 pounds. Looking at the deal, it was worth a gamble so I bought it and fitted it to the mini when I got home. All works fine and in actual fact the car runs noticeably better.

I showed a friend the other day and he said that I had the wrong coil as my car is a ballasted mini being an 1989 (post 1984 mini) and that it shouldn't work!

I have been looking through all my books and the internet and cannot find any information on the difference apart from how to convert to the older non-ballasted version.

Can Anyone tell me if I do in actual fact have the wrong coil and if so should I remove it or convert to non-ballasted?

I really am confused as he said that I should have the Lucas DLB110 but on many sites the spec is the same as the DLB105 that I already have.

Any ideas to help enlighten me?

Cheers,

Dick Jones.

Reply to
DJ

Fitzy

I have to correct you here. On a ballast resistor ignition system the coil is a 9Volt item and has a different resistance to a 12V coil - hence you shouldn't mix and match them.

Ballast resistor ignitions are used to make the car easier to start. When you crank the car over on the starter you are drawing such a load from the battery that it's voltage drops quite a bit (remember the alternator is NOT spinning upto speed yet). This can make standard 12V points systems not give a good spark when cranking. On a ballast resistor system the ballast resistor takes 3V of the 12V and leaves 9V for the coil. The theory goes that, on a ballast resistor system, even when the voltage drops when cranking it won't drop lower than the 9V of the coil. The coil can then produce a good spark even when cranking or if the battery has lost a cell. It is true that with only ever 9V across the points that they will last longer, another side effect.

Dont fit a ballast resistor type coil - 9V - to a non ballast car. It will overheat and break down as it's primary coil circuit has a much lower resistance.

Chris

Reply to
<$>

I stand corrected, you are right Chris, Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

Great mechanic fritz! I would never have you near any of my auto's.

Reply to
Madmax

The difference Mr Madmax, is that Peter contributes a great deal to this NewsGroup, whereas you Sir, currently, do not.

Do you still have that fine looking yellow Moke. Now that is a car to be proud of.

Tell us how it is doing, and what plans do you have for it in the future?

Pedro

Madmax wrote:

Reply to
Pedro

Sweet Honey Said:- Great mechanic fritz! I would never have you near any of my auto's.

I would love to get close to your supple nuts and give 'em squeeze

Reply to
Barspeed Beta Version 2.0

Yellow moke? Don't know what the f*ck you are talking about. As far as contributing.....I never plan to.

Reply to
Pedro

Hi Pedro reading the postings, I assume S.F.B is still snipping, I cant see him, Killfiled it ages ago, he,s not that good folks, we have had better more intelligent trolls, he isn't consistent, he comes in, rattles his cage, then goes away again, presumably to re charge his mental battery and come back with something he thinks is original, unfortunately all he does is create a blip in a thread,

There is a very high percentage of people in the uk who believe Americans are not worth the time of day,,, this troll confirms that belief, he is a failure to himself and he cant see it, Killfile it, when it comes back Killfile it again, its easy, the energy it takes to be the troll and bounce from thread to thread, cloning, is greater than our effort to simply Killfile, I don't think he's worked that one out yet, Fitzy, LOL

Reply to
Fitzy

Oh but I love him so much Fitzy ;-) Its a wonder he doesnt get Israel to troll this newsgroup, I mean being American you would assume he would get someone else to do his dirty work?

Reply to
Barspeed Beta Version 2.0

I know that I can always get a rise out of fritz and speedy. You just can't help yourselves, can you?

Reply to
barspeed and his homosexual ne