MG Midget/ Metro Engine?

I have a 1973 MG Midget with a 1275 cc engine. After reading David Visards Book it appears that the parts for the A series and A + Series engines are interchangeable. I would like to put the A+ series engine in, will it go straight in or will the crankshaft have to be swapped? The reason I am unsure is having stripped the cluth from the A+ (metro) engine the crankshaft has a clutch retainer bolt screwed into the crank. Also I am unsure if the cranks are interchangeable as they may have different bearing and journal size.. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Reply to
Jeff Willcott

Hmmm... I did a 998cc Mini Cooper engine into a Midget Mk1 back in the seventies. By the time it was finished it'd cost more than a new MGB.

"Beware foolproof projects, they invent new fools every day..."

In message , Jeff Willcott writes

Reply to
Martin Akehurst

As far as I remember, the crank, flywheel, clutch, oil pump and the block are different between transverse and in line a series engines. Most of the remaining internal parts are interchangeable, but not all.

John

Reply to
John Manders