engine swap

Hi all,

Does an super-engine fit my standard? My brothers '71 super won't pas MOT. Too bad for him... not for me :) Since my standard is in need of an new engine I'd like to swap his 1300 in my '73 (also 1300).

As I can tell the only difference is the oilbad airfilter on his to my paper style airfilter. Am I missing something?

Thanks Roger

Reply to
bug '59

Your '73 might have an alternator and that '71 might have a generator. So the engine will work if you change/modify what is necessary! If it has a generator then it is a super easy switch. Your call on whether you use paper or oil.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

One other item to watch for is the clutch. Compare the pressure plate on each engine. As long as both do *not* have the centre thrust ring you can swap.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Thanks for the replies. So I have to thake them both out anyway to check if it will fit? Oh well..... :o)

Brings me to an other item... The clutch on my '73 is worn, changing engines means changing clutch, right? Another plus for MOT then... (lol).

Thanks guys Roger

Reply to
bug '59

Read this article on my web site:

half way down to the section on Clutches and Pressure plates.Will show you exactly what to look for. Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Thanks Jim,

this makes more sense now. So, if I understand it right, it might be best to swap linkage and throwout bearing as well? If the super has that centre thrust ring can I swap that too? The super does have an IRS and mine is Swing. Could this make a difference on the shaft?

Thanks again, Roger

Reply to
bug '59

No, don't try to swap the linkage/shaft and bearing; it will wind up a nightmare :-)

Just use the pressure plate that matches the gearbox.

IRS and swing used either setup so that's not a factor.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Ah, thanks for the heads up... Is there a procedure on swapping the pressureplates? Or just unbold the 6 nuts...

tia Roger

Reply to
bug '59

You will need a clutch disc centering tool.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Thanks Jim!! I hope you never get tired hearing what an asset you are to this NG, not to mention ..speedy..

I'll let you know how it turns out eventually... It's holiday season so.. busy, busy, busy.

Roger

Reply to
bug '59