1996 Carisma starting problems

Hi everyone,

I've got a 1996 Carisma 1.8, which normally runs without problems. However, on two occasions in the last couple of months I've had trouble starting it. On those occasions when I tried to start the car, the ignition lights came on but the starter motor failed to turn at all. I tried turning it over a few times but with the same result, then left it for about 20 minutes. I then tried starting it again and it worked - the starter motor turned and the engine started.

Any idea what might be the cause?

Thanks,

Hajo

Reply to
postman

I'd suspect either corroded battery cable connections/wires, a bad battery, bad ignition switch, starter relay, a loose connection at the starter, or probably most likely, defective starter solenoid contacts.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

I have had a similar problem with a 92 Eclipse. It turned out to be that the starter itself had worked itself loose. The rear portion of the starter had loosened up relative to the rest of it. I had already purchased a replacement starter, so that did the trick, but see if you can jiggle the starter at all.

GK

Reply to
GK