2001 Eclipse GT - P0403 error code

My check engine light came on yesterday, and scanning the codes, I get a "P0403 EGR Flow Circuit Malfunction". Last week I changed the air filter and PCV valve - the light came on three days later, so I don't know if these are related at all. Anybody know what I can check?

Thanks for any info,

Dave White

Reply to
Dave White

Outlander

Ah, too late. I changed it Wednesday, and the trash came Thursday.

Reply to
Dave White

The PCV valve isn't connected to the EGR in any way. It doesn't need changing ever, really. It is a check ball inside a housing. Blow and suck on it for the click sound and you know it's ok. If not, clean it out with brake parts cleaner. That's all it takes. Its really a big scam at oil change places.

Now, you changed that and the filter, well guess what? There are hoses off the intake that feed into the EGR. Check that.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

If that Eclipse is mid 90's with the vacuum actuated EGR any vacuum malfunction or leak will affect the EGR performance to some degree.

Reply to
Outlander

No it's a 2001. I checked all the hoses - everything looks fine. I cleared the code Thursday, but today the light came back (actually two readings of the same code), so it wasn't some random reading. I'm going to dig a bit further tomorrow.

regards,

Dave White

Reply to
Dave White

OK, solved it. I replaced the replacement PCV valve (which was a cheapo model from AutoZone), with another make. This time, when I installed it I put a small metal hose clamp on the vacuum hose. The car's running much better now, and I've had no more error codes. Whether it was a faulty valve, or a bad hose seal, I don't know (I'm hedging towards the latter), but as the car's running fine now, and it cost under ten bucks, I'm not going to worry about it.

Reply to
Dave White