96 Talon AWD - Check Engine light?

Car has about 95k on her and today the check engine light came on. I have an air fuel guage and did notice that the guage stayed on lean for quite some time, oh and it was really cold her today. Live in Tampa FL. Anyway, when first starting the car in the am the guage will slowly go from lean to cycling back and forth (this is normal behavior). Today (as I had mentioned) the guage just stayed on lean for quite sometime, a lot longer that usual.

I guess my question is how should I go about troubleshooting this and what areas should I look at?

thx, Larry

Reply to
Larry

there is a serial port under the driver's dash. you need to connect a scanner to this port and get the stored dtc, or diagnostic trouble code. get the car scanned and then proceed based on the code(s) that are stored.

Reply to
simpleton

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 23:41:48 GMT, "Larry" scribbled:

It could be a faulty Air Flow Meter, or an O2 sensor. I suggest taking it to a Mitsu dealership and have the code read out on their testing equipment, as it will tell you exactly what's causing the check engine light to come on.

Reply to
Phillip Weston

Simp., I unplugged the neg. on the battery this weekend. It looks like the light has gone out for now. I picked up a repair manual, so I should be able to get the t-shooting procedure for reading the codes from that. I did notice one thing, the air - fuel meter would constantly stay on lean, and not work its way up as it normally does. Just wanted to pass that along.

Thx all for your suggestions...

Reply to
LWG

check codes, change o2 sensorr