Cause of low oil pressure in 4G93?

I have a 4G93 DOCH 1.8L GSR turbo. Just recently I have noticed that it has low oil pressure (20psi at idle instead of 30psi, and 45psi at 2000rpm). What would be the cause of this problem. I have asked many a mechanic and they looked surprised as it is a 2000 year engine with only 58000 kms on it. The car has developed relatively bad tappet noise when cold, however, seems fine when warm. What is the problem? Is the oil pump faulty?? Also when i took the oil filter off (now bare with me cos I'm not a mechanic) it looks like something goes into the oil filter. This has a chip out of it. Could this be causing the problem??

Please let me know as one mechanic told me that to find the problem, he would have to strip the motor to find out. WTF?? I have a feeling (read: hope) it is the oil pump.

All the best

Brett Thear

Reply to
Brett Thear

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 23:45:37 GMT, "Brett Thear" scribbled:

Uhmm... sorry if this isn't helpful advice, but did you check the oil level?

-- Phillip Weston Taumarunui, New Zealand

Phillip Weston

Yeah, first thing I checked. Oil level is fine.

Reply to
Brett Thear

I dont know if you really want to hope that its the oil pump. I know several years ago when I checked on replacing the one in my Mighty Max because of noise it was $740. For that price I learned to live with a rattle. On a front wheel drive car I imagine it would be even more since there is alot more labor involved in getting to it.

Regards, Dave

Reply to
Lala

I've had a problem with noisy lifters on my Mazda, and the only fix I have found is to change the oil to a slightly thicker grade. 10W30 is what the manual calls for, but when I put in 10W40 the noise goes away.

Reply to
mp6453

Did u fix

Reply to