Emergency****2001 Galant 2.4 8G****Timing Belt replacement

Hello all.

I need some help, bad. The counter balance belt on my wife's Galant broke and took out the crankshaft sensor. I have the manual for repairs so I took it upon myself to try to repair it (I'm not soaking in money so didn't take to dealer :-) ) I replaced the sensor and both belts. Aligned everything like it said it should be. All cables are connected, but when I try to start the engine it only turns and will not fire. I am no mechanic like my father was and wish he was still alive to help me out but hes not and thats why I'm here requesting help. Anybody out there that could guide me? What am I missing?, Did I do something wrong? or is there something else broken that needs repair also?

Thanks in advance.

v/r

Reboot.

Reply to
reboot_dc

Are you sure the crank sensor is outputting a signal to the ECU?

Reply to
Nirodac

The sensor is brand new from the dealer, how can I check for signal?

Reply to
reboot_dc

Double check all electrical connection you disconnected while changing the belts.

I'm not familiar with your engine, but does the belt that broke also control the cam shaft(s)? If so and this engine is an "interference" type, you could have some bent valves. Do a compression check on the engine. The cylinders should be within 10% of each other.

If that all checks out, double check that the belts are perfectly aligned.

Reply to
Richie Rich

Just out of curiosity I looked up the crankshaft position sensor in my Outlander shop manual and as near as I can tell the car will still run even if it fails. If I read it correctly, all it does when it fails is set a code. Bear in mind I know little about this but I thought that sensor had something to do with timing and not spark output. Are you sure some connector did not get pulled somewhere in the belt install?? I think there is one connector someplace on the back of the engine or the firewall that will kill the coils and therefore the spark....Again I'm probably wrong about all of this.

Reply to
Outlander

I believe it will still run if it fails after the engine is already started. I don't think it will start if it doesn't get the initial reference signals.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

Well, here's an update:

I double checked all wires and connections and they were good. I reinstalled the timing belt because I discovered that the oil pump shaft was 180 degree, so I corrected that problem. I am good on timing but the engine still won't fire. It turns and that is all. By the way I also checked all my fuses just in case.

Anything else I could check?????

Reply to
reboot_dc

Here's a small article I borrowed from the B and B Electronics"

"scantool site (I like their scan tool, some day I'll own one)"The crankshaft position sensor serves the same function as the pickupassembly in an engine with a distributor. It does two things: It monitorsengine rpm and helps the computer determine relative position of thecrankshaft so the PCM can control spark timing and fuel delivery in theproper sequence. The PCM also uses the crank sensor's input to regulate idlespeed, which it does by sending a signal to an idle speed control motor oridle air bypass motor. On some engines, an additional camshaft positionsensor is used to provide additional input to the PCM about valve timing". As for testing the sensor output, that depends on what tools you have. The Eclipse manual uses an oscilloscope to test the output.

I'm guessing that the sensor is a reluctance pickup sensor that changes based on the passing of a "gear" tooth past it's detector point. I haven't had to replace one of these on a car yet, but the ones I replaced in computer systems, usually required adjustment to get them as close as possible to the "gear" tooth.

Your cam isn't 180 degrees out is it?

Can you read any error codes on the ECU?

Reply to
Nirodac

Thanks for the input. I dont have a scanner so I can't read any codes from the ECU, I guess I will have to find one. As far as the CAM goes, it's dead on time. On the Galant the sensor is fixed, so there is no adjusting to it.

Reply to
reboot_dc

Well if your sure all your connections are tight, and your belt is correct, then that does leave the trouble code from the ECU as your next choice. Harbour freight was selling a basic scan tool (it displayed the numeric value of the error, then you looked that up on a chart, for $49.00USD) To clear the codes you can disconnect the battery for about 20 minutes. I don't think the ECU "locks out" the ignition system in the event of a catastrophic failure, but you never know. Good luck!

Reply to
Nirodac

As an "Old Timey" mechanic, I must suggest that you check for spark before continuing. Rig up a spark plug grounded to the engine block and see if you're getting spark. If getting spark, check for fuel and compression. If not, check other items that could cause a no-spark condition.

Gerard

Reply to
geewhiz

How many times did you rotate the crankshaft after the belts were on to make sure the timing marks lined up? Also, were you 100% sure the #1 piston was at top dead center?

Reply to
Eric F