galant 89 fails to start

Hello out there,

My '89 Galant 2.0 won't start. After parking, going in a shop, en starting the engine again nothing happened. Everything workt but is was as if there was suddenly no fuel. The startmotor did his job but the motor did not get into action. The sparkplugs spark and the fuelpump is pumping fuel. I noticed that when taking one of the sparkplugs out, the plug was dry (nice grey color), allthough I started for quite a while. I checked several fuses but found nothing. Everything els in the car is working fine.

Could it be something electronical with the injection? Anyone encountered the problem? Maybay I oversaw something.

Any help is welcome. Of course I can tow it to a garage, but first I'd like to try to repair this fine car myself.

greet Hans (Holland) .

Reply to
manoman

a) check if the ECU is producing any error codes. You can use an analog voltmeter for this. b) if the fuel pump is delivering fuel, there should be residual pressure in the fuel rail. Try to start. Turn the ign OFF. CAREFULLY crack the banjo fitting on the fuel rail. A bit of fuel should leak out. If it does not, then you fuel pump is not working. There's an inspection cover (under the rear seat?) that gives access to the pump/sender in the tank. Its not uncommon for the wires to the pump to corrode off. This may be the problem. c) There's the MPI relay that controls the ECU. These can fail or partially fail. The ECU also generates and sends 5V (not 12V) power to many of the engine mounted controls and sensors. Easiest check is the 6 pin connector on the air cleaner can. One pin should be very close to 5V. Your ECU could faulty, see a).

d) R/R and WD40 all the eengine connectors you find, also the ECU connectors. The ECU is under the dash or in the RH side lower A pillar.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

"manoman" schreef in bericht news:bpf99n$r47$ snipped-for-privacy@news1.tilbu.nb.home.nl...

The car is repaired. Some computerpart was short fused bij something happening in the ignition. Don't know the details.

Reply to
manoman