Cant start, no response from starter

This is a good one for a Maxima motorhead! I have a problem starting my

1996 maxima so I replaced the battery and the starter and it started with no problems and did for about 2 weeks. Now I turn the key and I hear the injection system make a noise, but nothing else. I took the starter out and had it tested and it tested good, put it back in and nothing, so I replaced the ignition switch and the 140A fuse under the hood, and still nothing. I have the starter out still hooked up to the battery and I turn the key and I get nothing out of the starter. I have volt metered it and I dont see a change. I read someone suggested to someone else that there is a starter relay? I have no I dead where one is on a 96, does anyone else? Or does anyone els have any suggestions? I cannot think of anything else- I did try to see if there was something wrong with the shift switch to make sure it was in park before you start it, not sure if it is called the inhibiter sxtich or not, but I couldnt find it. But all acts good, but nothing out of the starter. HELP!!!
Reply to
JHR

Jon Smith

----------------------------------------------------------------- You are reporting an intermittent no-crank problem.

Always do the easy check first. If your vehicle is a 5-speed, make sure the clutch pedal is all the way down when you twist the key to START. If automatic, jiggle the shifter while attempting to crank. Try cranking in both Park and Neutral. If those steps are unsuccessful, consider ...

- discharged battery (dim headlights with engine off)

- weak battery (check voltage at terminals while cranking)

- loose or dirty battery terminal connections at the battery

- loose or dirty battery-to-body ground connection

- loose or dirty battery-to-engine block connection

- bad ignition switch

- bad clutch safety switch (5-speed)

- bad neutral safety switch (automatic)

- bad inhibitor relay

- bad solenoid

- bad starter

Al Moodie.

Reply to
Al Moodie

I FIXED IT!!!!!!! I found the fork like connector on the inhibitor switch was snapped off the shift linkage and wasnt in park and didnt move when you moved the shifter. It was hard to find and see unless you get way under the front of the car. I bent it all back together and it works great now!!! Thanks for everyones suggestions.!!!!

Reply to
JHR