L300 - Steering wheel making noises

hi all,

my L300 van makes noises when turning the steering wheel. it's a sort of scratching / scraping. anyone know the reason (or even a solution) for that?

sounds as if there is sand somewhere...

cheers

jens

Reply to
jens mander

From inside the car ??? Possible causes are

1/ Grit on the horn contact behind the steering wheel 2/ Possible intrusion of grit inside the column bushes/bearings

Regards

Jeff

my L300 van makes noises when turning the steering wheel. it's a sort of scratching / scraping. anyone know the reason (or even a solution) for that?

sounds as if there is sand somewhere...

cheers

jens

Reply to
JeffDawson

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 19:48:05 +0200, "jens mander" scribbled:

Is the noise coming from the actual steering wheel? If so it could just be a peice of dirt or dust in the steering wheel mechanism. On my Galant, it made a sqeak everytime I turned my wheel, it turns out it was the horn prod thing in the wrong place.

-- Phillip Weston Taumarunui, New Zealand

Phillip Weston

I had this with my 1988 Mitsubishi Cordia. The grease in the sliding horn contact had gone all old and filled up with grit, and it made the most worrying sounds but it was a 5 minute fix. =)

-Ben

Reply to
Ben Gregory