Mighty Max oil pan problems...(long w/questions)...

Well, some dork who previously worked on the oil pan used something to pry it off and bent the front end of it down. This turns out to be the reason why I can't get it to seal. Strange thing is it only leaks at high-speed but leaks badly enough that I cannot drive down a highway for any length of time. I took off the pan and tried to straighten out the sealing edge, then I put in a new gasket and re-installed it. All seemed good until I drove it down the highway and the leak was there again, but not as bad. Anyhow, I got a service manual and there's no mention of installing a gasket at all and says to put a sealant on it to seal it up. Well, I went to price a tube of what the manual calls for(genuine Mits stuff) and it costs $40 for it! Glorified form-a-gasket in my eyes. So I priced a new oil pan and that was even worse. Does anyone know a trick to sealing this damn pan or is it too far gone from the dorknut that pried it off previously? Will regular $5 RTV seal it? I really don't want to spend $40 on the genuine parts shit but with my luck I'll prolly have to. BTW, amazingly the sealing surface of the engine block appears bare-ass smooth so I don't think the problem lies there(I hope). Anyone else ever have this problem...oh yeah, it's a 2.4L

4-banger.
Reply to
Robbo

Take it off again, and this time, get a straight edge to see where you have to bend the pan again.

Then go down to the nearest parts store and get a tube of gasket maker. Might cost you $10.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS