oil pan seal for 258

I replaced the rear seal on my oil pan some time back, and I think the seal is holding fine. I however have several leaks in the oil pan. I installed the one piece rubber gasket, and used rtv around the gasket. I am going to pull the oil pan back off and redo the gasket. My question is does the one piece rubber gasket require any rtv, or should I put it on dry? I have been researching this topic and there is very little information.

Reply to
Sleestak

I put them on dry, except for the area at the rear of the pan where it seals under the rear main. This may just be an issue with my '94 YJ, but the pan gasket tends to seep in this area unless some sealer is applied. I've used both old timey Permatex Form-A-Gasket, and RTV on this and both work fine.

Reply to
Jerry McG

Reply to
Steve G

Thanks, for the tips Steve. I'll let you all know how it goes. I sure hope it seals this time, because I don't want to have to take the oil pan off again :)

Reply to
Sleestak

Thanks for the info Jerry. What is the best rtv for this job?

Reply to
Sleestak