More Advice on a sports car purchase (celica, eclipse, rsx, ,wrx, altima)

Well...

If it's not a family saloon If its not a luxury sedan If it's not a hot hatch If it's not a SUV If it's got 2 doors, a stiff suspension, a coupe design with a peppy engine....

It's possibly .. a sports car.

David

Reply to
David

Here's how I classify them.

Sports car. Has NO doors! Has no roof (soft top or maybe a 'T' bar - no power) Has 2 cozy seats - if you and your passenger total more than

25stone/158Kg you will probably be in contact. Has a minimal mudguard or wheelarch height 2in/5cm and waistline to match. Is lightweight, less than 1980lb/900Kg. Has RWD and manual gearbox. Is very low to the ground and you just about sit on the floor so the seat is about 1ft/30cm off the ground. Look up Caterham/Westfield 7, Dax Rush and Kylama.

The other rag top cars you may think are sports cars are 'roadsters' or 'sports roadsters' as they have doors. They weigh a ton(ne) or more and are a bit taller at the waistline but 'sports roadsters' still have no more than 6in/15cm height from wheel arch to top of bonnet directly above hub center.

The real Sports coupe. Has 2 or 3 doors - if 3 door must be fastback. Has a fixed roof. Has 2 seats (if it is 2+2 it's a 2+2 Sports coupe) Is sleek and low, overall height - height from wheel arch to top of bonnet directly above hub center, is less than 59in (1.5m). Is lightweight - less than 2480lb/1125kg (2+2 2755lb/1250Kg). Has RWD and manual gearbox. Has a ground to seat height less than 15in/38cm.

The cars listed in the subject are 'sports styled coupe' or 'performance saloon'. The coupes can't claim the label 'sports coupe'. Any coupe based on a saloon or with FWD can only ever claim the be 'SPORTS STYLED'.

Peter Hill

Ragtops are out?

Reply to
Liam Devlin

Dan Drake wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

How about a Lotus Elise?

coming to the USA according to the website. Alex Devlin

Reply to
Alex Devlin

Reply to
simpleton

I have - still driving an '82 Turbo, RWD and manual transmission, four wheel ventilated disk brakes, large diameter sways bars, fuel injected - all factory. Drove it today!

Turbos are like anyth> "You definitely don't want a WRX. Anything turbo is a problem waiting > to happen."

Reply to
ma_twain

Actually, I never thought it was myself. ;)

Reply to
Liam Devlin

Not quite that much on it, but I never claimed it was a Superlight. I have no idea what else I could possibly bolt onto it to take it up to nearly 2.000lb, though.

Reply to
Dan Drake

u dont think wrx's look good?

*smack* =]
Reply to
Karan Mohal

Sheeeit, I bet my riding lawnmower weighs almost that much. :)

Reply to
Brad

Sure he will- a little haggling and the rebates that are out there will take care of that.

Reply to
Robb Gonyer

gt under 25k is easy via carsdirect.com or via a good dealer haggle, they give great acceleration, but handling Im sure isnt as precise as say an rsx. It really boils down to how much acceleration and handling this buyer wants. The rsx really doesnt get interesting till 5-6k rpm, which in stop & go around town driving will sometimes be tough to attain. I drove a celica gts with a 5 speed and have a similar opinion of it. If the altima is a consideration, why not maxima or g35? Rereading the sellers post, cheap, reliable and fast as hell, I'd have to vote wrx, or perhaps a used eclipse turbo with a warranty.

Bri

wrote

Reply to
Brian

On the topic of torque for around town driving I suppose that the 6 speed manual would get the most out of the RSX type S. I bought a manual '98 CL in April and it's got to be one of the sweetest gearboxes ever made outside of the Miata, although it's the only manual I've ever owned.. Celica GT-S engine is supposed to be even peakier than the GT, and Car and Driver said so in the last comparo which was a year and a half ago I believe (the RSX won). For best torque in a 4 I think the VW GTI is right up there. It has

180 lb ft at 1950 rpm or something like that. Nothing can touch turbo torque. WRX is more money than most of the ones you're looking at. 2.5 RS looks like it for less money. Me, I can't justify buying any new car. I might be looking at a used Integra GS-R if I was looking more performance car but the insurance is $600 a year more. I just keep searching until I find one that's been babied. Most people on my street think my CL is brand new.

Reply to
Dan-O

Reply to
Vlad