Purchase advice

I have owned three land rovers

  1. Stage 1 V8 - lovely car
  2. Serials 2 with Chevy conversion - problem car
  3. 1996 Discovery Tdi - nightmare (engine siezed, ongoing issues)

I am looking to replace this Discovery with a newer second hand defender, but do not want to incur huge maintenance costs. I have burnt my fingers with the turbo diesels. Service costs arre ridiculously high in SA, and are only surpassed by the incompetence of the mechanics in making the vehicle work.

Can anybody suggest a vehicle (Defender) that is affordable to run and maintain: TDi...problematic, V8...high fuel comsumption, what about the 2.8i ???

Please help with my dilhemma!

Reply to
Peter Downes