PC to OBD II interface for a 95 Eagle Talon TSI AWD and Misc Parts troubles

check engine light trick, so I need an alternative. And I am absolutely sick of giving my car over to my mechanic and paying $75 to figure out something as simple as a O2 sensor going on the fritz

I figure DSMers are a bunch of gear heads like myself and would know where to get the right interface.

Oh and on an unrelated note, do any of you have problems finding the proper parts for your DSM car? I have such a hard time trying to find the right Oil filter, thermostats, spark plugs, you name it and it's been wrong. And it hasn't just been those no talent hacks at AutoZone either. 2 different speed shops and 1 dealer have both gotten it wrong. I just wanted to know if it was me or if it was a systemic problem that I have to deal with for as long as I own the car.

Thanks, CMF

Reply to
Chris Ferris

simpleton

Thanks for the info. But I do kinda need a tad bit more and less than what the DSMlink software will do. I don't want to tweak any settings in the ECU, I don't wish to send my ECU out to have it's ROM's removed and another set implanted in it. I hate the idea of somebody else working on my car. Especially somebody I can't even speak to or meet face to face.

All I want to do is read the codes off of my car, off of a 1998 Mustang GT, a 1994 Dodge Intrepid ES, and a 2004 Subaru WRX, and to clear the error codes when the repairs are completed.

And I have a laptop at my disposal that I figured I could use so I could keep track of the various errors in the car so I can pick up on any patterns in the breakdowns. Cause, hell, I can't remember every error code that has appeared on each of those 4 cars over the years.

And as for the PartzNet website, thanks I think... I was asking if anybody else has had the same problems I've had so I can see if I have to deal with this for the life of the car, or if I have just had a string of bad luck with suppliers. Your website provides none of those answers, and I'm not about to spend my money (AGAIN) on a supplier that I don't have any information on.

Thanks again, CMF

Reply to
Chris Ferris

You can buy cheap (less than $40.00 on sale) code readers at most auto supply shops, and all they will do is read the code. You have a problem in that Ford, Chrysler, and Subaru all use different signal levels to talk to the ECU, so one cheap reader my not work for you. The pricier models will read all three. Also you have vehicles that have OBDI (Dodge), OBDII (Ford and Subaru), and even Ford and Subaru have different signal levels for the ECU's Check the local auto parts vendor for "Equis" code readers, they are cheap but might work for you. Good Luck I did see a web site that offered scanners for PC's for about $150.00, I'll see if I can find it again Ray

Reply to
Nirodac