please help!

i know really nothing about cars...but this just happened this evening.

i was holding a package that had some stretch plastic on it (easy to rip) and my key in the same hand..i wasn't paying attention and i pushed the key into the ignition, ripping some plastic off the package and shoving it in with the key. The car started fine and all, so I didn't think much about it.

This evening I went to start my car, and the key wouldn't even go all the way in. We pushed it in, but now it won't even turn.

I obviously need to get this plastic out of there, but I can't take it to a dealer because it won't start. Any help on this? Should I call a locksmith? Is there anyway I can do this myself? PLEASE HELP!!

Reply to
faustt

You need a piece of appox 1mm brass wire. Bend a 3mm 90 degree end on it, then cut the wire at an angle so you have a sharp point. GENTLY poke this into the key slot and see if you can hook the plastic out. Try changing the shape of the hook. If the plastic is squashed into the bottom of the slot this is why your key won't turn.

What also occurred to me was the later problem could be an attempt at car theft. Was you car unlocked?

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS