Replacing the bent valves (sigh) and tensioners

My 4G63T cam belt slipped a few teeth and bent all the inlet valves. The belt had done about 30,000km, and there's no visible damage. The hydraulic tensioner looks OK, and requires compressing in a vice to set up the belt in the normal way.

If the hydraulic tensioner is bad, can they be compressed by hand? Any other symptom? I don;t want to replace something that's not faulty.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

simpleton

If you have to use a vice, it's OK. Bad ones can be pushed against the ground, by hand, and compress. I've seen it and it's called "pogo-ing"

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

That's what I thought, thanks. The engine needed new rings anyway ...

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS