Rubber-covered metal trim

Oh this 1990 Eclipse, the trim that goes around the car, below the windows, is flaking off. I'm going to peel it all off and then polish the metal instead of replacing it with
OEM parts.
Question is -- someone told me the metal is stainless steel. But to me, it sure looks like polished aluminum.
Anyone have a definitive answer on what the material actually is?
Thanks in advance!
"Anyone have a definitive answer on what the material actually is?"
No but I do know you can get paint that will match this very close SEM and a bunch of others make it and any decent parts shop that carries auto body stuff will have it in aerosol cans. I used it for the same thing on an old Buick 231 V6 Skyhawk and it held up good to Michigan's climate as well as looking sharp.

Thanks, reckon it would fill in little cracks in the rubber?

all
with
steel.