Sound coming from brakes?

I have a 2000 Mitsubishi Mirage, DE that has been working wonderfully until a week or two ago. Every time I go over 35 mph, I hear a squealing sound coming from my front drivers side, almost by the wheel (?). It goes away if I brake and go under 35 mph or sometimes if I hit a bump at the right angle or press my gas pedal to the floor.

I am about to take it in for an oil change and tire rotation, but I'm not sure what to expect as far as potential repairs. I guess I am the typical girl - I know next to nothing about cars, and most mechanics talk above my head, so I always have to drag some poor sap with me to pretend he knows what the mechanic is saying. (I swear my bills have greatly jumped in price when I go in alone).

If I had some idea of what was making the sound I could decide if I need to take it in to a full service mechanic or not.

Any suggestions would be great!

Reply to
fypcdqt

There is a pad wear indicator that is a bent piece of sheet metal that is attached to the pad. when the pad is worn out, this indicator rubs on the rotor and drives you nuts forcing you to service the brake. Any brake/muffler shop could deal with this. The OEM pad lists for $60.00, you should be able to find a wide variety of equal quality pads for even less. Call around, the yellow pages are your friend.

Reply to
Simpleton