Space Wagon G4CP Engine timing and balance belt question

Hi guys,

Advice needed please

Problem:

Yesterday, Autobahn at 150Km/h, engine dies, no noise just dead.

Inspection reveals:

  1. Timing belt 'B' (silent shaft) broken (piece found cover).
  2. Main timing belt 'A' intact but , slightly scored on engine side probably due to abrasion with broken belt 'B'.

The question:

Does the silent shaft have anything to do with the ingnition signal for the Engine Control Unit (my hope) or do you think the broken belt caused the belt 'A' to jump (my fear)

many thanx Tim

Reply to
Tim Runkel

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 10:19:43 +0200, something compelled Tim Runkel , to say:

Did the broken belt destroy the valves on that side of the engine?

Reply to
Steve Daniels

Steve,

I honestly don't know yet ..hence the question. My suspicion is yes :( Still have to strip off the covers and see if the all the marks line-up my gut-feeling is that some the debris from belt 'B' got caught under the main timing belt and it jumped a few teeth

Tim Runkel

When the pistons hit the valves, you can USUALLY hear something nasty, at least for a while. You may get away with it. The 4G64 16v for example, won't bend valves unless about 4+ teeth are skipped.

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS

Tim what year is this thing? On more recent U.S. market Mitsu's there is a crank position sensor down there. It's a single wire coming off of a pick up at the crank. Without the signal from this sensor, you have no ignition and the engine dies.

Reply to
simpleton

It's actualy a Hyundai Santamo, a 1 to 1 copy of the Space Wagon. Hyundai bought the factory and shipped it over to Korea as far as I know, Hyundai does not really service the vehicle... It's handled by Mitsu..so you go there for your repairs, service etc.

To answer your question, it's a 1999 (Hyundai)model so I assume it's last development stage from Mitsu ie. 1996 (Mitsubishi) I assume.

BTW I had another look at the piece of belt I found and it looks as if it has been been lying in the casing for a long time... the break does not look fresh...although I never noticed and undue vibration ?

I've got a CD of all the mitsu eng> Tim what year is this thing?

Reply to
Tim Runkel

"I've got a CD of all the mitsu engines and it's definitely a G4CP"

Take a look at the CD and familliarize yourself with the crank sensor. If it is like the 4G63 and features a magnetic pick-up and trigger plate (rotor) that sit behind the balance shaft cog on your crank, you should check for damage. Lacking the signal from the crank sensor, the ECU will not provide spark.

Reply to
simpleton

many thanks for the help,

I'll have a look

tim

simplet> "I've got a CD of all the mitsu engines and it's definitely a G4CP" >

Reply to
Tim Runkel