205 owner again

Well my freebee 205 Style is now on the road having passed the MoT with a grand sum of £20.16 being spent for 2 headlights and a CV boot kit. Well happy with that!!

Got a nasty oil leak from the cambelt area - but will strip it down in the next couple of weeks, possibly even wip the head off to do the gasket for peace of mind.

Carl Gibbs

Probably oil seals...another 10 pence repair.

Reply to
Conor

Doesn't look like it's the camshaft seal as there's not much oil at the top end, but the oil is pissing out of the bottom cambelt cover. So probably either the crankshaft oil seal (cheap) or the head gasket (not so cheap).

As I said, depending on the price of the head set may just do it all anyway, including the valve stem seals. Being an XU engine, they're bound to need doing at some point soon anyway!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Be careful because most cam belt failures are caused not by snapping as such due to mileage but by the little rubber teeth getting stripped in one place on the belt (crank pully because its smaller). This is due to oil making the rubber slippy and also soft. Oily belts rot and soften fairly fast. Then it will cost you plenty!

Reply to
Burgerman

XU?

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

XU is the PSA engine code, I think it means it's based on a certain block. XUD9 is a 1.9NA Diesel for example. T in the code is for Turbo and there are codes for cats and things like that. In recentish vehicles there is also TU and DW engine codes IIRC.

There are XU petrols and XU diesels. The valve stem seals going seems to be one of the things that happens on these engines in old age but I never saw it in the 4 100k+ XUs we've had.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Yes, sorry, knew that bit. AFAIK XU for the 205 is the 1.6 and 1.9 - I was guessing the car in question wasn't one of those, hence was likely to be a TU rather than an XU.

(and yes, I've got two XUDs sitting outside :-) )

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Apologies.

I assumed the OP's car is a Diesel. I doubt it's an XU petrol. (c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Aye, an XU7D is what powers the beasty. 1769 cubic centimetres and pure diesel chugging

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Went to change the belt last week, but discovered that the parts place hadnt given me the right oil seal, so was forced to leave it till this weekend. Came out to the car this morning and the it has dumped the coolant all over the driveway - a quick look this evening show the water pump is to blame. So more parts now ordered and hopefully it'll all get done this weekend. Stupid French piece of junk!

So we have 5 cars, and not one of them is roadworthy :(

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Mmmmm

Sell them all and buy one proper car?

Reply to
Burgerman

Well 3 of them are usuable, just have no tax/MoT so aren't legal. Just bad timing really, but very annoying!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs