27.6mpg....

I try not to.

Nervously applied brake lights and truckers are the main causes of motorway tailbacks.

Reply to
Pete M

My S40 used to keep the "bulb test" lamp illuminated until you press the brake first time after starting - I managed to get all the way from Trowell services to home and noticed it was still on.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Or an IS-F.

At all engine sizes it's outclassed by the Germans.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

My brother has just got a new E280 CDi auto as the old '55' plate one was approaching 200k miles. He averaged 45 mpg from his old one and he doesn't hang about or particularly care about fuel bills. Other than servicing and brake pads the only things that needed changing were the rear tyres. They didn't last long at all..

The new ones are damn good.

Reply to
Pete M

Best I got out of the Octavia was 38mpg. I was out of work, and only driving when needed. Needed was going back and forth to the hospital in Oswestry where my mother was dying. It was a simple distraction from the facts concentrating on the petty like getting the best out of the fuel tank, and it meant I was focused on the driving and not on the hospital.

Reply to
Elder

No, I'm not.

If the road is clear, I'll stick to my cruise speed.

If it's congested, I'll knock the cruise off and maintain a sensible gap, adjusting to traffic speed with the throttle and gears.

Erm, that's not what I do.

On the other hand, I've ended up booting the car up to 90+ mph on a few occasions, on clear motorways, because I've been tracked for an hour by someone driving like you have been. In the end I've had to just put some distance between us, because some idiots on an economy drive think truck-style overtakes are acceptable.

Reply to
SteveH

And people maintaining a constant throttle, rather than constant speed (or adjusting speed according to traffic conditions).

Reply to
SteveH

I don't think doing the limit is driving like a nobber. Sitting at 54 on the motorway and getting in the way of truckers is annoying. But not necessarily bad driving if they do in lane 1. Being in a position to pass other drivers and get back in before anyone else approaches can hardly be described as driving like a nobber.

Reply to
Elder

I'm going to try and hold out until 2 yr old W212s are around - I reckon an E250CDI will be the best compromise but depending on how taxation and fuel prices are the E350CGI could be a good bet also. its Mines just passed 110k miles, back tyres lasting 10k ish, averaging 34mpg over the last 13000 miles (winter kills it, town driving moreso) - drove to Bathgate on sunday and averaged over 41 mpg, that's nailing it up the A1 to the A66 then heading over the A66 all the way up.

50mpg for me is unheard of, but it will do it if you stick to about 65. Does 45mpg at 75-80mph. Still on original discs at 110k miles. Had a water pump and a MAF sensor. For a car that is driven quite hard for long periods of time I think it's great.

The new ones benefit from the 7 spd gearbox - I had an E280 on loan for a while, was brand new and a bit tight but soon settled into 40mpg averages on motorway runs - beautifully smooth engine too, beats the BMW diesels for refinement but not for power.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Basically, as long as people on an economy cruise do so without holding anyone else up, I can't see a problem.

It's the numb-nutted bastards doing 69.9 mph in lane 3 in diesel Rover

75s and the like who really f*ck me off. "It's the legal limit, and that is what I'll do. If they want to pass me, they're criminals".
Reply to
Pete M

But I'm enjoying it.

Last week driving normal I got 30, this week I'm seing if it is worth the effort to try and improve. If it isn't worth it, I won't bother in future.

Reply to
Elder

I bet you, if someone set a 300 mile journey, me taking it carefully, you tearing off when ever there is a pubic hairs gap in front, neither of us having particular prior knowledge of the route, there would be less than 10 minutes difference in arrival time, except I would less flustered, less frantic and less tired, and with a lot more fuel left in the tank.

Reply to
Elder

You miss the whole point.

I only booted it to 90mph to shake off a f****it driving the whole route on constant throttle - drafting past me on the downhills with me catching again on the uphills.

Once I've put a bit of distance between me and the f****it, it's back to sticking the cruise on.

My usual motorway driving is to set cruise to 70-80mph and relax. Knocking it off and killing speed if the traffic gets heavier.

That's one f*ck load more relaxing than keeping an eye on the pikeymeter.

Reply to
SteveH

If you'd like to take me up on the bet I'm game for it.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Check.

Check.

Check

*cough* maybe not. It's a Veloce.

Check.

Last long run I did in the 156....

Witney to home. 55mph average on a mix of A-roads and motorway. 36mpg, without trying.

Pretty respectable for a 2lt 'performance' N/A petrol.

Reply to
SteveH

180bhp? 400Nm?

:)

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

the one in the mini never seems to drop below 38.1mpg if you rev it or not and not above 38.6 if you drive real carefully. i tend to piss along these days, mainly cos i got a previous 6 points and ban than being eco friendly and saving fuel.

i piss along to and from work, i found if i rush i don't seem to get there any quicker so i got the back roads and just follow the traffic which is always moving but never very fast.

i do like to give it a rev on the weekends when the roads are a little quieter, the mini sounds pretty good when revved and is a giggle if your hammering it down a b road. i would like to get it re-mapped to just over cooper power, coopers are 115bhp and most people have got 130bhp from a remap, not really worth the cash if you have a cooper for the extra 15bhp but a one like mine is only 90bhp so maybe worth the cash. might start looking into some remap options if i can afford to in the summer time i'll do it!

Reply to
Vamp

Hehehe, sorry dude but 30mpg isn't doing economy. Unless you're PeteM.

Why make a point of your car's economy at all? Isn't it smooth and comfy with showy watch style clocks and Lexus style rear light clusters?

There is a challenge *and* a tangible benefit to your wallet in making a do a real life every day 60mpg+.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Wife gets 32-33MPG out of her 1995 180BHP slushbox jap thing and it seems to spend most of its time on the wrong side of the road going between Bridlington and Driffield.

Reply to
Conor

Well at least he put "performance" in inverted commas. Anyway, performance is relative. Neither's exactly a tuned V10 TDI.

I wonder how much difference there is in the weight stakes between the 156 and the E-Class. I mean, I'm sure the E's heavier, but I bet there's probably less in it than a lot of people might have thought.

Reply to
AstraVanMann