900 SE & S Turbo's

Can anyone please tell me the main differences between the two. Both are 97 models

Reply to
JoHNY

trim levels i think? no doubt SAAB nerds will post a defo answer shortly though :)

Reply to
Vamp

It was just trim levels. Down to variations in alloys, interior and aircon/climate. Different standard and options. Can't remember the details, but what is standard on the SE is an option on the S, Options on the SE rarley get specced on the S as you might as well have gotten an SE anyway.

Talladega models had some other minor addons, but were basically fancy S and SE models. No LPT options on GM/NG 900 models so either 2.0 turbo, 2.0 injection, or 2.3 injection I think.

Oh and all handle like shopping trolleys compared to the old 900, and a sorted 9000. If you get one, budget for a Viggen rescue kit (designed for the original 9-3 but fits the 900) from Abbott, or at least the rack clamp and brace copy from a couple of US suppliers. The rubber steering rack clamps do a great job of pointing the car in a different direction to which you are steering. Sort the clamp and brace out and things get much more direct.

Add a double ARB to the rear, and you lose a lot of the understeer, and make it neutral with power off oversteer.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Brilliant, no more nerding required

Ken

Reply to
Ken

LOL, don't know if it is dead accurate, but close.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

So, which is the most desirable, reliable for everyday use, drives most like a modern car, and future classic Saab you could buy then?

One of the very last 9000 Aero Manuals perhaps? (97/98 R plate?)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Without playing with it, yes. Although, with the Abbott Viggen rescue (or generic equivalents). And some Maptun kit, the 2.0 GM900 SE with all the toys and a Maptun or=20 Speedparts/BSR kit is probably better VFM for more power. Standard Aero 9000 is about 225BHP, and still cost about =A34k or more for= =20 a good one. You can buy a decent GM900SE turbo from about =A3800-=A32k max,=20 Speedparts stage 3 from Elkparts takes you to 245bhp/356nm torque for=20 another =A3876.17. add from PartsforSaabs PFS Performance Machined Billet Aluminium Steering Rack Clamp &=20 Stainless Steel Brace (the copy of the Viggen rescue brace)=A3130 Koni Sports Suspension Kit =A3425 And if you want to stop quicker than the normal pads/discs/hoses WP Pro Hi-Performance Brake Upgrade Kit (6 piston calipers hoses discs=20 relocating brackets, just add 17" wheels) =A31250

Sure it costs more than a standard 9000 Aero, but nobody would expect a=20 GM 900 to handle better, stop better, or have more power. And the last=20 =A31250 is really an option anyway.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

NeedforSwede2

If you are looking for a future proof bargain rocket, find yourself a 9000 Carlsson 2.3. Prices are currently at rock bottom (£800 for a good one) but interest is growing in this Cossie eater. Modern, really smooth balancer shaft engine (almost V6 smooth), leather, climate. Add yourself some Koni's and you will not stop grinning (and you may need a neck brace after you've tried the 2nd gear acceleration!)

Reply to
Ken

Seems like recently a lot of cars claim the title of Cossie-eater. Haven't met one of them.

A new Subaru Legacy break 3.0 (245 HP) is just delivered in the company: nice piece of kit, leather and electric everything. However no match for the Cosworth.

Porsche Brussels dealer is about 2 km down the road: their technical staff is instructed not even to tempt out accelerating a certain Bordeau 1991 Sierra Cosw 4wd... but Boxster-hairdressers take the bait every time :)

The reason why as good as no car is capable of "eating" Cosworths is straightforward: standard Cosworths are more rare than rocking horse droppings and proven/tested performance tuning for the Cosworth-line is only limited by the content of your wallet.

Saab is good though, Vigger is very good but it lacks in traction being FWD: put the accelarator down and the front tires spin, do the same on an Scoob, Evo or Cosworth and it's launchtime. I don't even mention cornering...

I place facts over sentiments, physics over feel. The Saab can feel like a rocket, Cosworths and cars with similar power/layout deliver.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Ok, I made a flipant comment :) The statement 'Cossie eater' is used so often cos it's such a recognisable benchmark for a STANDARD production car. Realworld, the Carlsson has a lot more class than a Sierra and is a good contender, how often does a person who has any consideration for clutches, gearboxes or even human life do a 'Dump The Clutch At 4000rpm'? Oh, you'd be surprised what well sorted 9k can do, cornering wise :-) and all for a fifth of the price of a Cosworth.

Reply to
Ken

No hard feelings, Ken and certainly no discussion on "class" where differences in pricetags as 1/5 are reality in favour of the "classy" car.

It's just physics: 4wd compared to FWD, there is no contest. The only place where the FWD Saab's handicap will be somewhat less is accelerating on a straight road at speed.

As said the sorted Saab will surprise you in corners (in more than one way), you will find the same corner at the same speed in a 4wd dull, boring and "not fast".

There is a reason why at races and rallye's where 4WD / FWD and RWD mingle the

4WD receives a big weight penalty (in rallye a weight penalty of about 300 kg : 1000 kg FWD >< 1300kg 4wd, on circuits (with rolling start) a minimum of 150 kg.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

You've obviously never driven either.

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Call it what you want, but describing something that is considerably slower than a Sierra or Escort Cosworth as being faster is a standard benchmark for self delusion.

And why the emphasis on "STANDARD", the Cosworths were STANDARD production cars...

Reply to
Lordy.UK

I much prefer the relaxed stupidity of a 9k Aero than the hooligan element of a Carlsson, and yes I have driven both.

And while never owning a Cossie, I found 200BHP and 4x4 bland by comparison. Comfortable clinical but bland, in a Celica GT4.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

The Celica is a bland car full stop... It's also less powerful, substantially heavier and nowhere near as raw.

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Blimey, you seem to write aggressively!

The only reason I used the word Standard was that Tom De Moor appeared to be saying that it was difficult to use the word 'Cosworth' for a benchmark as they were often modified

Reply to
Ken

Unfortunately you are wrong there, I've driven numerous 9000s (N/A, turbo, aero and Carlsson) , Sierra Cossies (2 & 4wd), Ralliart modded Evo3, and roadrally spec GTiR (straightcut gearing was fantastic)

Obviously , for ultimate cornering ability a Cosworth will win hands down, I'm a big fan of rwd fun, but the sort of activity that would bring this out should be left to track days IMHO.

Carl, I agree that an aero would probably be more suitable for Tim, just thought I'd give him another more raucous option :-)

Reply to
Ken

Umm, surely the Cosworth doesn't have outright cornering ability over the Ralliart Evo and the roadrally GTiR....

Reply to
DanTXD

You found a Toyota bland ? Shock horror ;)

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

Oh not in it's handling, but in it's performance.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2