900 SE & S Turbo's

It's common on usenet. Best not to take it too seriously.

Yeah.

Emphasis can be added in various ways, I use the *asterisk* technique myself. On the internet, posting in caps is seen as "shouting", and it's mostly done by the less coherent posters, so not recommended on the whole.

But your post was sensible enough. I say we should all give Lordy a slap and have done with it. ;) ;) ;)

Reply to
Questions

Oh and I've just found these engine figures for torque (the important figure ;-) ), they may be of interest

rs500 - 203 lb escort - 220 lb

9000 aero - 258 lb and having done some very basic surfing, so forgive me if I'm wrong, it would appear to hit full torque at a good 2000rpm earlier than a Cossie
Reply to
Ken

Guess I've learnt something today :-)

Reply to
Ken

In news:dli630$ns3$ snipped-for-privacy@sun-cc204.lut.ac.uk, Ken decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Yup, but the Cosworth engine is basically a race motor, detuned for the road, the Saab is a road engine that's tuned for torque.

My old Cosworth used to produce 528 bhp at around 7500 rpm, and something like 400 lb ft at 4500 rpm, however, at 2000 rpm it could only do something like 120 lb ft.

However, at 2600 rpm it was upto 300 lb ft. This, combined with the Cosworths power, will obliterate most of the tuned Saabs on the planet, and wasn't an unusual spec for a reasonably tuned Cosworth.

RS500s used the Garrett T4 turbo which was basically just there for homologation purposes, there was a bank of four extra fuel injectors that were unused on the road cars. If, however, you connected the extra four injectors and set the boost to a more suitable level you'd get an easy 350 bhp from a standard one. 550 bhp not unheard of with pretty standard engines. As TDM has said, Cosworths are cheap to tune and the states of tune possible are frankly astonishing from something that started life in the Mk3 Cortina.

Reply to
Pete M

Tell us your story of when you matched an RS500 in your old Ti. I've never been able to find a standard cossie to try to replicate your story. Much less an RS500. Rare as rocking horse shit, these days. Seemingly.

Reply to
Phattitude

Sounds like you had a fantastic machine - why'd you get rid?

Interesting information too, I'm still talking *standard* though

That B234 engine in the 9000 aero is seriously overengineered too though, it's a larger cc'd version of the one used here:

And you can very easily get here:

Ken

In news:dli83a$oc5$ snipped-for-privacy@sun-cc204.lut.ac.uk, Ken decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Delta Integrales seduced me.

There's a lad floats about on this NG with a pretty scary 900 Turbo.

Reply to
Pete M

Presumably due to size of turbo and compression ratio?

Am rather partial myself but am scared off by having no garage and by the reliability

Reply to
Ken

In news:dliaam$os9$ snipped-for-privacy@sun-cc204.lut.ac.uk, Ken decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

It was actually quite high compression for a tuned one, around 7.5:1, but the turbo, combined with the cam profiles meant that not much happened below

2k rpm.

Be afraid, be very afraid. I've had two and they're the most fun you can have on four wheels, but by christ they're tempramental bastards.

Saying that, I'd have another one like a shot.

Reply to
Pete M

That and the fact they try to turn themselves into cabrios by rotting along all the roof seams

Reply to
Ken

In news:dlibft$p3t$ snipped-for-privacy@sun-cc204.lut.ac.uk, Ken decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Evos tend not to do that. Mainly because later Evos were handbuilt and have different seams.

Mine, however, weren't Evos. The second one I had was blighted with the rustiest roof seen this side of an Alfasud.

Reply to
Pete M

That's an getout clause that seems to pop up in here quite a lot recently :)

Reply to
Lordy.UK

My apologies, wasn't meant that way :)

Which is a fair comment, but I do take you're point about the use of it as a benchmark.

There just seem to be too many cars that are described as Cossie rivals, which clearly are nothing of the sort (for various reasons, not all of them speed related).

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Indeed it is. But I did actually just meant why was he emphasising it, heh.

Certainly was, and a little bit out of place in here as a result.

A sound idea. If only because "all" is would be what was required to demonstrate any hope of success* :)

Reply to
Lordy.UK

I can't remember no such story, but I did and still do partake of a Sapphire Cosworth (4WD) as has been mentioned many times. The TI compared admirably to it, as far as straight line performance goes (and they did race at the side of each other many times so that's not just a speculative view) - but they were a world apart in other respects. Reliability being a chief one (it's in bits again at the moment).

I would never dream of describing the TI as a Cossie Eater. I would, however, dream of describing it as a *much* better car for the needs of an everyday driver.

Indeed.

Reply to
Lordy.UK

He sold it. (If you mean Matt Faulks). The new owner drives it daily and posts to UKsaabs.

It had a bit of a misshap where it was sideswiped on a roundabout and was waiting see if the insurance would sort it.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Thats low compression for a Saab that.

900 T16S models with APC were 9.0:1 I believe in europe, slightly less in US.
Reply to
NeedforSwede2

A GT4 isn't just a celica though. It has the same lump as an MR2 turbo, and you know how much grief they can get people into.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Personally I consider the Merc 190E 2.6 Evolution 16v to be a fair comparison to a Cosworth.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, NeedforSwede2 decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Probably because it is a Cosworth :-)