A6 good, bad or ugly?

Or a Skoda badge...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

S60 is available in AWD versions (just checking ~UK website as it's confusing, looks like only R spec at the moment) in various markets and models - I think you can order 2.5T and D5 AWD ....

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Already mentioned. A nice V6 2.5 TDi Superb.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

What about octavia vRS? My first impression is they don't look half bad, the only octavia's I've seen on the road that I can remember are taxi's but that in itself is perhaps a good sign. I quite like the initial vRS impression, they *look* decent motors - was reading the which? car report today and volvo S60 came out on top for large car with the skoda a recommended buy. VW Passat report was less than complementary. I'm torn between plodging a huge wad of cash on a S60R and running it and getting a sensibly priced and far more economical motor. In a perverse way the anti-cool image of owning a skoda (vRS wolf in sheeps clothing) has a certain appeal.

Reply to
Johnny

Octi vRS is a nice car, but based on the Golf rather than Passat platform. All the VW tuners can get something more from it. Have a look at

for some of the tunign that people are doing to them, and even tips for friendly insurers for such tuning and mods.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

The A6 drives well, I dunno how cheap it is to maintain. If you don't mind paying a few hundred every year or so (as is normal with reasonably flash cars), the A6 is a good car with plenty of toys and driver appeal.

The image is much nicer than BMW (dunno or care if this is justified).

Test drive one, that'll give you some idea.

Test drive other cars too, a lot of this is personal preference.

Reply to
Questions

AWD S60 is still haldex :(

If you want a proper 4WD go for the quattro, the 2.7T only comes in quattro flavour anyway, you would need it with all those horses.

Ronny

Reply to
ronny

Haldex is OK, many Audis are also Haldex.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Image? A6 "don't want a BMW or Merc" image? Hmmmmm....

Reply to
DervMan

But isn't that what you did with the 206? :)

Reply to
DervMan

Only the Golf platform Audis are haldex , dont know if I would like to rely on the "oh is it going to cut in" senario, even though i'm sure its very good.

Reply to
ronny

No? The curses of youth require something insurable, and you're not even NEARLY in a place to comment here :)

Reply to
DanTXD

Oops, bad form, but i'd just like to add i chose the 110bhp petrol one over the 110bhp HDi as its faster, and cheaper to own (several grand cheaper to buy, less common servicing, cheaper parts etc).

Reply to
DanTXD

From driving the TT it seems unshakeable grip wise.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

In a choice between PSA petrol and diesel, I'd take any HDi over the equivelantly powered petrol engine in the range.

The 1.4 306 was faster on paper than the 1.9Dturbo.

Do they do a 206 110HDi?

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Yup, with the 1.6 HDi that made for ford. Its not even an option for discussion as its way too expensive :) Plus, and we're forgetting the main point in here, i prefer petrols, and its mine, so anyone that disagrees is kinda irrelevent really :) Also, on paper, mine is just as economical as Dervy's, but far fewer laugh at me, and its a lot quicker :)

There was very little else i deemed a feasible choice really. I didn't want a Ford or Vauxhall, maybe coulda been convinced into a 1.8 Corsa SRi, i liked the 206, i chose it, for me, with the added bonus that it annoys Dervy ;)

Reply to
DanTXD

Heh, I was just expressing an opinion, as you were. Mind you, I was thinking more along the lines of 2.0 HDi 110, I havent tried the newer ones like the 1.6 and 1.4 so I can't say whether I'd choose the 1.6 Diesel over the 1.6 petrol. 2.0 HDi 110 has more tuning potential which is why I'd take it over a 110bhp petrol.

I quite like 206s, but can it beat kermit to the 1/8th mile marker? (c;

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Not until Dan buys an Ecotek and Bluefin......

Reply to
SteveH

Er, did you actually *READ* Tim's post ?

Only a fool would sacrifice all the above for debatable looks and image !

S60R is a fine motor - the A6 doesn't come close until you start approaching the loony-spec models.

Reply to
Nom

Nope - there's a 4WD version.

At over £40,000 I hardly think it's in the same price bracket !

Reply to
Nom