WTD cheap runabout scotland

as per title

novas going off the road shortly and i dont fancy getting the train to work every day (bear in mind i work 830am-11pm :(

come on guys give me what you got :)

must have a few months t&t as i dont have time to start playing with another motor as well as the nova

Reply to
SkyTech

That's in contravention of the EU directive on working hours. See your union. If you're self employed, you might have problems with an insurance claim if having an accident after working those ridiculous hours.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Trouble is the EU directive doesn't pay the bills.

Reply to
Johnny

in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk, "Dave Plowman (News)" slurred :

Multiple jobs? Self employed?

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Chooses to work long hours?

Reply to
DanTXD

"signed the opt out and the moneys good :)

basics only 17k a year for an average 42 hour week so all the extra hours add up nicely :)

Reply to
SkyTech

Unless he opted out...

Reply to
Conor

It's a health and safety thing. 'Opting out' is one thing, but then driving home after a 14.5 hour working day might make him be construed to be at least partially to blame in event of an accident.

Oh - and I work in an industry where these sort of hours are common. And the sooner they are stopped by law, the better - with no opting out allowed. I've had several colleagues involved in accidents where tiredness has been to blame.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If he's working so many hours that he's not fit to be driving home, then he shouldn't be driving home. It's that simple.

Absolute rubbish.

I used to work at a Holiday Camp and I usually did between 60 and 70 hours per week - as did everyone else there. I chose to do so, partly because I enjoyed it, and partly because I wanted the money - as did everyone else there.

I'd have struggled to make ends meet if I'd only done 38 hours per week !

Some people WANT to opt-out - why should they be penalised because a few folks choose to work themselves into the ground ?

Reply to
Nom

Because long hours then become the norm, with attendant poor hourly rates. And the only ones who benefit are the bosses.

Those who lose are the families who don't see their father - and possibly mother too. With all the attendant social ills that brings.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well the German's have, according to a recent news report, begun turning their backs on the low-hours high-wage model, they simply can't afford it apparently. If they're abandoning it then I'd think it isn' t that great a scheme. Personally I'm all for free choice, if you're stupid enough (as a figure of speech) to work until you can't keep your eyes open then you have to accept the consequences. Freedom and responsibility.

Reply to
Johnny

The above is certainly true in the haulage sector. THe UK haulage industry is absolutely cacking itself at managment level with big companies magically coming up with 40%+ wage deals which suddenly have become possible to do despite years of saying that they earn nothing.

Reply to
Conor

Of course. Every country is run by big business - and what business doesn't want to reduce its labout costs?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)