Advantages v disadvantages of a diesel!!!

Yup.

Both have their uses.

Reply to
JackH

Hopefully they touched it up well, don't want it rusting.

Reply to
Depresion

3 different turbos, K03 on the 150 and some 180s, K03 Sport on some 180s and the 210bhp and K04 on the 225s. The 225s chip for 260+.
Reply to
Depresion

Then you drive a Focus ST and realise what a piss poor purchasing decision you made with the Golf 1.8T.

Much as though I hate to say it, I reckon the new Focus ST is going to annihilate the Golf turbo.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Apples meet oranges - the diesel S60 I drove averaged 44 mpg - I see no great advantage.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

And ran out of puff at 4000 rpm.

Mine will pull from tickover in any gear, pull uphill from 1500 in top, is at max torque at 1900rpm and runs to 6500.

Damn - I've actually got to agree with you there

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Wouldn't it be nice to see one of these powered by a tdi lump:

Oh hang on that one was it ran at Le Mans in 2004 where is eventually was forced to retire following gearbox flavour and not being one of the big teams they didn't have a spare one. It was going 70% further per tan than the petrol cars that it was lapping at the same pace as and was dubbed "Le Tapis Volant" or the flying carpet as it was so quiet. It made it into the top 20 at the Silverstone

1000Km race before having to retire with an oil leak again considering the low budget of the team was an achievement.

Partly due to there success Peugeot are developing a derv powered car for the

2006 Le Mans race.
Reply to
Depresion

Lol - you got me. Took them 6 mths, they had to replace the bonnet in the end.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

IIRC correctly, no they didn't, and he wasn't happy about it... And then there was the rest of the service from that garage...

Reply to
DanTXD

I *like* some petrols.

I currently have a s**te old petrol, which, all things considered, is actually quite economical.

I just happen to like modern diesels, given the choice, more specifically, I've been impressed with both Golf TDIs I've had, and would like another.

It doesn't make me a pikey, nor does it make me a particularly bad person - I like them, they're cheap to run, and it's what I *want*, more importantly.

One thing you may note in this whole argument is, I'm not even slating other cars / fuels particularly... I'm merely defending my own choices, and the reasoning / experiences that have drawn me to the conclusions that is, what I want from a car.

Reply to
JackH

And which is geared accordingly...

Yes, and the absolute worst MPG I ever had out of either Golf was 42mpg, on a very hard pushed, running all day 60+ drops multidrop session.

Do the same hard pushed run in your car, and see if you get within half of that, MPG wise.

This is why I used to run a Golf TDI, rather than a petrol Volvo, given the actual margins I made on the jobs I did at that time, were pretty s**te, even in something as economical as that.

It was the right car for me at that time, and I'd have another one now, if the right one for the right money turned up.

:-)

Reply to
JackH

See that stick next to you try waggling it around with the left pedal depressed. ;)

Reply to
Depresion

Yea that sounds quite unlikely, best i've ever done in my 110bhp 206 is

46.6mpg. That was on the drive to Leeds, bout 80 most of the time on the dual carriageway bits, and plenty of overtaking on the single carriageway bits, with a boot full of stuff.
Reply to
DanTXD

Ooooh - rightm yeah, 1450 kg of big wide volvo with 5 cylinders versus...

As already mentioned - I had a golf, it did 34-40mpg, it didn't need diesel or babying to do it. Never below 30mpg on a tankful.

My Volvo does 24-30 with me driving, and has been shown to do over 40. The diesel one I tried did 41.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Actually I've changed my mind when I remembered it was a Vauxhall I decided it was better to let it rust. ;)

Reply to
Depresion

Could be that or the fact that engines are more prone to exploding with it. (Especially Range Rove V8s, there is now a strong trade in good blocks as they have a habit of cracking when running on LPG)

Reply to
Depresion

On a run like that in my TDi I'd be getting 55+mpg and still passing you on the dual carriageway.

Reply to
Depresion

:-)

Reply to
JackH

I dunno - how can anyone think a bottom of range Volvo is compensating for something? Maybe I have genuine reasons for wanting a safe, comfortable, quiet car with a secure boot? Still at least we've not yet disproved any of Burgerman's original hypotheses - the only reason for buying a diesel is for fuel economy.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp
[...]

With a big motor and a smart autobox you just dial in the acceleration you want and it deals...

Not the cheapest solution, but by far the most convenient.

...fun at 0.5G too. :)

Alistair J Murray