Advantages v disadvantages of a diesel!!!

Petrol, thye took the plugs out, sprayed the leads with wd40 spun it over to get rid of sea water, screwed em back in and fired it up!

Reply to
Burgerman
)

Almost everything on this newsgroup is off topic! Even this thread. Its supposed to be modded cars! Like fitting spark plugs and a carb to a diesel engine!

Reply to
Burgerman
[...]

=8/

Do tell.

I might have put the amusing squid feature higher...

Alistair J Murray

Granted - but you still didn't answer my question about what WOT stands for?

Reply to
fishman

Fair enough then. Chalk one up for petrol. Of course with a diesel they wouldn't of even had to do that.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

I did say 'insanely high pressure' - that's what made DI work well. The transit will have had boring old style pressure.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

You clearly know more about gay's than I do - please enlighten us further :)

Reply to
DanTXD

(a) Initial cost nowhere near as different on second hand models, outweighed by better residuals. Difference in inital cost when buying second hand *much* easier to recoup the difference in fuel economy.

see (a)

Yup.

Yup.

Depends - compare the VAG 1.9 PD TDI-150bhp and the 1.8T 150bhp. But then consider that 150bhp's the most they got out of the 1.9TDI, and they got

225bhp from the 1.8.........

Yup.

At idle. Virtually nothing in it at speed - 535d was quieter inside than the 545i at 70mph.

No.

Not if you're careful. Insert nozzle in pump, fill up, shake nozzle vigorously to get rid of drips, replace nozzle on pump.

(bZ) True to an extent, but modern synthetic oils mean this is *much* less of a problem than it used to be, hence most modern dervs and petrols having identical service intervals.

What's WOT?

But geared to take this into account, so that the comparatively higher amounts of torque at lower revs can mean gears last longer.

Some people like that. Dervy'll be along to tell you that a diesel engine at idle is similar to the heartbeat a baby feels in it's mother's womb!

But you don't buy them, so that's ok - we can all sleep easy :-)

See (bZ)

I reckon this thread's either going to get very long, or Peter out very quickly 'cos it's been all done before!

Reply to
AstraVanMan

No it was a 2.4D - definately. I dunno what they took out and sprayed, but it was deffo a diesel.

Reply to
DanTXD

180bhp version of the 1.9 TDi was flogged on the continent wasn't it? In a Leon?
Reply to
DanTXD

Wide Open Throttle.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Must of been the glow plugs. I've got it on my computer somewhere I'll check again.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

More like the change from not that insanely high pressure direct injection to insanely high pressure direct injection.

Sort of, but with that, and the ability to produce more power, comes the equal opportunity to waste just as much fuel as well.

The economy with reasonable performance happened with the Perkins Prima TD engine in the Montego/Maestro (evolved into the Rover L series) and the VAG

1.9TDI-90bhp (and to an extent the 2.5TDI-140bhp, though this wasn't nearly as widely used as the 1.9). IMHO those 2 engines were when diesels started to become very acceptable for a daily driver. They've improved in recent years a lot more, but the step between old-skool dervs previous to those and those engines was *much* greater than the step between those and the latest lot, IMHO.
Reply to
AstraVanMan

Wide Open Throttle

Diesels dont have one. And you cant have one! If you did there would be not enough heat from compression to ignite your fuel So every revolution each cylinder has to compress a full load of air to approx 23 to one creating much stress and engine wear even at idle. Its why they sound noisy at idle, and on overun and feel harsh and tiring to drive. No amount of "modern" ((c) JackH) WILL CHANGE THIS!

Petrol engines idle with a throttle plate almost shut. So there is no stress as only a minute amount of air needs to be compressed, Thats why they idle smoothly and quietly without stress or wear. And the compression is lower anyway! So at idle, cruise, and on overun, the engine is having to compress f*ck all by a smaller amount! No or little side loads on the piston / liner, and nothing trying to crush the big end and main bearing shells at idle!

Reply to
Burgerman

No. It would have taken much longer to get the water out of the cylinders!

Reply to
Burgerman

But let's be honest, if a group uk.rec.cars.chit-chat was created, mods would probably be left with a very small handful of serious modders (like yourself, Burgerman), and people like Remus and Rob. The rest of us would probably while away the time in the chit-chat group.

But then again, I'm sure we'd regularly pop in to rip it out of Remus, Rob and the like!

Reply to
AstraVanMan

What Burgerman says is true tbh, you would have a much better smile on your face if you bought a turbo version of a petrol car with the same size engine.

Fuel economy is almost the same now on TDI engines compared to their Petrol conterparts. And my boss recently got a 2.0TDI Sline Audi A4, and when he starts it up it still sounds like an ice cream van :)

My Audi is faster, smoother, quieter and is about 8mpg less economical but diesel is more expensive.

Petrol Audis now need servicing every 30k miles if driven on the motorway, the TDI is still well behind as it needs doing every 10-12k.

It won't be long that we see diesel cars losing value compared to their petrol equivelent. If you drive the petrol hard though especially with a turbo the fuel economy goes out the window, but I can see 40mpg+ on a run.

Reply to
Ronny

It certainly was... but don't let that get in the way of a good argument, eh. ;-)

Reply to
JackH

You can chip the 150 PDI to 180.

And you're missing the fact it's vastly more torquey, at lower revs...

Reply to
JackH

yeah it was, watch the video here

Streaming but crappy realplayer :(