Advantages v disadvantages of a diesel!!!

Reply to
dojj

why petrol obviously :) it's better than diesel :)

Reply to
dojj

Thats because they are so shit the world decided they had to have the aditional complexity and expense of a turbo to even be used!

You think? Then why not turbo all petrol cars too, you could use smaller lighter engines etc. Its not about fuel efficiency, because properly implemented a turbo can increase efficiency, albiet only very marginally. They do cost, thats why. And they wear out... And increase all kinds of complexity and reduce reliability. And because petrol engines work pretty well without!

Turbos, seals, fueling sensors, pipework,etc all go wrong, and cost.

Reply to
Burgerman

And it's so reliable you would think it was built in Italy.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Every time you increase number of parts / moving parts then you decrease reliability. Recon turbos happens to be big business!

Reply to
Burgerman

I'm betting 2 stroke.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Then get thee a VW, Skoda or Seat...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

It's good to know that universe is in perfect balance at this moment in time.

Frsaer

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

The BMW as it will have got to the edge of the cliff well before the lada.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Acceleration and fuss free dont go together. My 270bhp 8 sec quarter mile (to 160+) turbo / nitrous suzuki was extremely fussy! And it was my road bike. (non diesel) All tunnel vision, arms getting ripped out, wheelspin/wheelies/explosions thanks to ignition kill airshifter, etc... I towed it there with an old diesel transit. Thats what they are for.

Reply to
Burgerman

Rotary - it's the way forward...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

17 minutes?
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

A standard quiet production 1 litre bike engine comes extremely close to that figure... Turbo versions make up to 400 bhp...

Well said!

Reply to
Burgerman

What he meant to say was that the mixture in a petrol engine is all nicely mixed with the air in a lovely fuel air swirling cloud, and it all gets lit at the same time where it burns from the olug smoothly and rapidly.

And in a diesel you have a cylinder of hot air and you squirt the fuel in as the piston buggers off down the hole and all the fuel is around the injector... It burns as it enters, consuming the oxygen closest first. But this takes a finite time to happen. In other words diesels are crap.

Reply to
Burgerman

In brazil.....

Reply to
Burgerman

But thats the point. You DONT NEED ONE!

Reply to
Burgerman

well actually i can. Been fitting turbo systems, modded engines, v8's, nitrous systems to stuff all my life!!! Thats how i know whats what...

Reply to
Burgerman

Almost. But been banned 5 times for exessive speeding. I was a bit of a hooligan when younger, now I BEHAVE! Also done 175+mph on public roads VERY often. If its quiet.. In germany of course.

Reply to
Burgerman

Yep, 21 gallons gone in less time than it takes to listen to part one of tubular bells.

Reply to
Depresion

Should have run the transit on the strip and towed it home with the bike.

Reply to
Depresion