Advantages v disadvantages of a diesel!!!

2) Run it on chip fat.
Reply to
Conor

I'm not convinced that VVT is purely implemented as a way of artificially achieving a certain peak power output. Moreover, I personally think it's to provide some degree of engine drivability lower down the rev range, with more performance / aggression in cam timing higher in the rev range.

Consider modified cars with performance or aggressive cams, not exactly nice to live with downstream.

My perception is that VVT isn't there purely to artificially make a cars peak power, but allow it to make peak power, without it being difficult when not in it's zone.

Reply to
Douglas Hall

And the winner is - Irv Gordon - 2 million miles on a Volvo P1800 - petrol.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, Conor decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

So, to sum up.

If you drive a diesel, you're a cheapskate.

The advantages of diesel ownership so far as are follows.

1) It's cheap 2) You can run it on chip fat, which is very cheap. 3) Dervy likes the noise they make 4) They're not bad in bloody big wagons. 5) They're ideal for stationary applications, like generators because of 1+2

Yup, that's confirmed all my suspicions over the years.

Reply to
Pete M

If he increased compression so he could put timing as near tdc as poss before detonation occurs he would see much more power due to increased pumping efficiency, too, advancing timing alone is dodgy because you get the pressure rising while the piston rises and it fights the engine so you waste some of the power...

Reply to
Burgerman

Under some narrow criteria diesel is better than petrol and under other equally narrow criteria the reveres is true.

Reply to
Depresion

I thought you didn't like high compression.

Reply to
Depresion

Well not quite there yet, but my petrol has 185k miles on the clock and going strong.

But as to why you see more diesels with intergalactic mileage, well normally it's fuel costs, because they tend to be used for business purposes, as opposed to (presumably) being enjoyable to drive.

Reply to
Douglas Hall

Because the gearbox exploded twice due to not being up to the extra power of the TDi.

Reply to
Depresion

yep, about 40mph higher than UK speeds...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

If you enjoy your drive, you should look after your car well enough for it to see high mileage.

Reply to
Depresion

3) when was the last time anyone read about a diesel in Max Power?
Reply to
Depresion

Only that you're more likely to see a 300k mile old oil burner than you are a petrol.

In the face of all the evidence, you're still sticking to your viewpoint.

I suppose that's commendable in it's own way.

Reply to
SteveH

Yup.

Reply to
Conor

Given that you have, in this thread, posted some quite astonishing bullshit, I think you may need to take another read of your books, as you obviously didn't quite get it first time round.

Reply to
SteveH

Like I said, none of your business.

Clear enough for you?

Reply to
JackH
[...]

I don't; my smart, adaptive, 5 speed autobox does though...

Alistair J Murray

Which generates its power ever so slightly differently, and is in general only suited to the lightest of four wheeled applications.

Oh, and they, bar the ones featured in real heavyweight tourers, tend to last a fraction of the miles a car engine, be it petrol or diesel, will, without major overhaul work, thus negating the point you raised with regards to reliability.

But anyway, 'whatever'... all these manufacturers simply haven't a clue, when they design cars / bikes, eh.

ROTFL

ROTFL... they don't overall, wear out any quicker... as proven by the amount of 200k+ old smokers still circulating out there.

Reply to
JackH

Or funnily enough, (and strangely on topic), cab firms running fleets of them instead of petrol equivalents...

Reply to
JackH

Cab firms the country over tend to buy diesels when they could buy, according to what you've been suggesting, a more reliable petrol equivalent.

HTH

Reply to
JackH