Alfa 166

I'm as much of an Alfa fan as the next man (not if the next man is SteveH though - obviously), but I never really saw myself in a 166. Until now that is.

Cheapest new V6 is a whisker off 30 Grand before discount. ebay and autotrader are groaning with '00/'01 examples at three and a half grand.

I could take 100 depreciation on 3.5 grand over a couple of years.

Must stop watching repeats of Top Gear...

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Do it, YKIMS.

Avoid 'Sillyspeed' cars, though.

Reply to
SteveH

Nice, even I like the sound of that.

Shame you have to look to the 3.2 litre V6 to get a sufficiently quick=20 one, and they /aren't/ =A33.5k :/

--=20 Lordy.UK

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Looks like the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Go for it but be aware that the old certainties of Alfa will also still be in place: si if you buy the car for 3.5 grand, make sure you've got another 3.5 grand on deposit and don't touch it but for the car.

Happy driving.

Tom - ex-Alfa, still misses my 75 from time to time - De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

166 is a cruising car
Reply to
ts86

sounds good to me - cheap motoring!

Reply to
ts86

No you don't. There's only 0.4 secs on the 0-60 time and 20bhp between the 3lt and the 3.2lt.

At under £4k for a top-notch 3lt, I think I could put up with it being very slightly slower.

Reply to
SteveH

Indeed, but the way I was looking at it is that one is slow, the other=20 is slower; 240bhp and it still can't break seven seconds, must be=20 pretty heavy - that's going to impact on /all/ aspects of driving.

I agree; sounds like superb value. Just a shame it hasn't got a bit more=20 pace for a three litre.

Any idea what are they actually like to drive, istr it being mentioned=20 somewhere that they are a little peaky for a six ?

--=20 Lordy.UK

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Bit of recalibration needed. Sub 7 seconds to 60 in something that size isn't too shabby at all. In fact, it's quite rapid, and certainly all you need in the UK.

See above - it's a great lump of a car - you need to compare it's performance with a 5 series or an E-class.

The way an Alfa should be.

Reply to
SteveH

None of them are slow. 2.5 or 3.0 is fine as well. Just make sure it's a manual. I like them but the seats are a bit wrong (too firm and slidy for me). Styling and engines are ace though.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Big car, front drive, engine improves with age, 0-62 time is dependant of person doing the launch.

They don't feel slow, and the way they pile on from 50-120 combined with the sound they make is sublime.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

which is what you *should be getting

Reply to
Theo

Show us a four year old BMW 5 series or an E-Class that can be picked up=20 for less than =A34k, and we'll be straight there with our wallets.

--=20 Lordy.UK

Reply to
Lordy.UK

methinks ill keep it a secret :)

Reply to
Theo

A wise decision, I think I would do the same - so I could buy them all=20 up and sell them on a rather fine profit.

--=20 Lordy.UK

Reply to
Lordy.UK

watch this space :)

Reply to
Theo

Maybe, but the badge says something else.

Reply to
DervMan