And you lot claim Alfas are rot-boxes

Hmmmm, normally, I'd agree. I think I have a pretty good feel for what a car is 'worth' - and yes, E300TDs do appear to cost a lot of money for what they are.

On the other hand, you're getting one of the last properly built Mercedes with a new generation diesel engine - which is a highly desirable combination. Whatever premium you pay when you buy it, you're likely to get a lot of it back when you sell it.

They're very near the top of my list if I end up having to buy my own car again in the near future.

Reply to
SteveH

Spoken like a true lardygolf driver.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Magicans truth: do no believe what they say, believe only half of what you see.

The rust on that car is not normal, the car has been crashed needing a lot of body panels. These panels are not fitted to Merc-standards. The badly repaired frontwing is obvious while the rusting reararch is also "not standard".

I think a review of that car's life should be interesting to read. It looks like the work of a back-yard mechanic who has bought a write-off and then repaired it on the tightest of budgets.

If it were a genuine non-repaired Mercedes, 1 set of photos to Mercedes Stuttgart would be sufficient to welcome 4-5 engineers the next day. You wouldn't even get to see the car because the owner would receive his money back.

A lot can be said about Mercedes. They cut themselves pretty bad with electrinics but the state of that car has other origins.

So it has sold for 3995 UKP... well the new owner has bought a nightmare.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

You don't use rock-salt on the roads over there, do you?

That's actually fairly common on the W210s in the UK.

Reply to
SteveH

Alfas ARE rot boxes.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

99 is mid?

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Salted roads kill cars. It has been known for mk1 and Mk2 Renault Clios to fail their first MOT (after 3 years from new) based on corrosion.

I know that from experience of people who own them. It isn't limited to just to renaults, just some of the worst cases I've seen.

Reply to
Elder

SteveH 'You're not a real petrolhead unless you've owned an Diesel'

Reply to
Elder

Maybe but if that were the case on that E55 there would be rust everywhere: all fenders.

The rust on the front wing seems along the complete length typical of bad repairs (most likely missing interior protection).

Leaves the remark that due to the make and the price of that car (claimed to be dealer serviced) it would be reclaimed by Mercedes unless some mayor "things" happened with it.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

I've never seen a rusty Mk2 Clio? They're galvanised as well, so I'd be surprised. Well, the V6s are any way heh...

Reply to
Iridium

Not another oxymoronic statement from our very own driving deity?

*considered removing SteveH from the kill file for some entertainment*
Reply to
DervMan

I've only seem then rust when they've been bashed, unless, the mark two that Elder means is really the mark three.

*comment about filler cap rust here*

:)

Reply to
DervMan

Not as though the 300TD is a modern donk, either. They're not particularily economical come to think of it.

Nah, 2.7 five pot, best of both worlds... :)

Oh and not to mention that you'd look pikey because you were running a pikey car, of course...

Reply to
DervMan

The Mk3 hasn't been out long enough to need MOTing yet :-)

Reply to
Iridium

The same way that the Alfa Romeo 75 is too fast for navigation rallies, yes.

Reply to
DervMan

The current one is the mark four, surely - so the mark two is the softer, face lifted mark one.

Then the mark three has the big butt. Maybe the mark two is really the mark one point five, so the last generation of the lardy ass Clios is the mark two point five.

Or something.

Thus yours is a mark two, or a two point five..?

Reply to
DervMan

Not that you're being an arse about the whole thing too. Not sure which is worse, the shit SteveH posts or your playground reaction to it.

clive

Reply to
Clive George

There was the Mk1 - Williams etc. The Mk2 - Which included 2 phases, mine, and the facelift with the girlier front end. There are also a sorta phase 3 of them too, where the boot was changed a bit, but they're pretty rare. Now there is the Mk3 :)

Mine is a Mk1 V6 - which is a Mk2 Clio Phase 1 :-p

Reply to
Iridium

My Golf's a Mark two point one three. It's seventeen years old and has barely more rust than the plastic spoon I was born with.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Does it have a fuel filler rust prevention flap?

Reply to
Douglas Payne